Time for some C-RAAAZY slowdown! :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

After the slowdown in the OXM demo for Crazy Taxi 3, I decided to rent it before purchasing, and I'm glad I did. The demo is completely representative of the final product. A game like Crazy Taxi lives and dies by fast, smooth action, and the new level has a number of spots of horrible slowdown. Maybe if they toned down some of the lighting effects it could've been smoother?
    The level from CT1 has some nice updated touches, but 2 new levels would've been more welcome than 1 new and 2 old.
    I know most people here love Sega's latest games (JSRF, GunValkyrie), but IMO, their XBOX offerings have been lacking, and CT3 keeps up the new tradition. [​IMG]
    -Dave

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I agree on your assesment of Crazy Taxi 3, I bought it and promptly returned it the next day. Sloppy is the best word to describe it. A sad disappointment.
    Now I humbly disagree about the other games....[​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I was really dissappointed with the demo - was very sloppy. As I've said elsewhere, in interviews the lead programmer didn't seem at all interested in the project. It shows.

:-/

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

yes CT3 is a very sad offering by Sega...its really too bad as this was my most wanted game of the summer. They really could have done much much better...here's to hoping they revitalize the series.

6. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Would it be worth buying for someone who never played the Crazy Taxi series?

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

yes and no, it is better than the PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions, but not better than the original DC versions.

8. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I've been playing the original DC game like mad for the past few weeks. Got up to 18,000 in the original city, although I suck at the arcade city. Just so I know where I stand, anybody care to share high scores?

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If you've never played the series, and you don't have a Dreamcast, it's worth getting. If you have a DC, the two levels in the original game are superior.
    In the arcade city for the first game, I used to be able to get upwards of 30,000. Once you cross a certain point threshold, it is as if you could play forever. I would have to quit when my hands got too sore. [​IMG]
    I played the city from CT1 quite a bit last night, and it is muuuuch bigger than it originally was. I'll probably pick this up when it hits $19.99 clearance.
    -Dave

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Is there any slowdown in the CT1 city like there was on Dreamcast?

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I didn't see any slowdown in either of the original games' cities; it's only in the Glitter Oasis level, and it is indeed pretty harsh in that level [​IMG]

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

In the end I think CT3 would make a perfect bargain bin title. If you see it somewhere for 19.99 I think its a great buy. Its not horrible but certainly not worth 50 bucks IMO. Its just disappointing as they could have done so much more with it.(graphically, more content..etc..)

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I'm playing it right now. Rented it from BB and it was coated with their idiotic stickers, locked up and took it back. Now the second copy is locking up too so it may just go back for good and get something different.

Anyway, I'm liking it. It'd be nice if the graphics were on par with Wreckless except using the Crazy Taxi gameplay system. I'm not really that impressed with the graphics and although it resembles Las Vegas in some ways, The Strip really sucks IMO.

Nevertheless, the inclusion of the modified (enlarged) original city + the small apple make it a very good deal. Basically you are getting 3 games in one. And yeah the West Coast city plays really nice. If I had never played Crazy Taxi before, I think I'd get this.

As for the slowdown, I haven't played the hell out of it, but from about 20 minutes in Las Vegas I saw it rarely. Only once actually when some particle effects showed up because of me splashing in a fountain. Other than that it was quite smooth.

15. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i may be out of line here a bit, but it worries me when games cause slowdown on systems. i remember this from back in the day of nes days. To me, it seems like the game has hit the limit of the systems capabilities, and that sucks. I mean, Halo was a launch title for Xbox. There should be no parts of that game that cause slowdown. It almost seems like, Halo was sooo good, that they maxed out the system with the first game made for the system!?

Im specifically talking about the part at the end where:
    you are driving the warthog as a "get-away" because the place is blowing up, and at 1 point you are driving through such mayhem, that the game practically slows to a crawl.

I was waiting for the game to actually stop!

Maybe im just being stupid here, but I worry that the most we have to look forward to is the above mentioned scene, because anything more the system just wont handle.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Unfortunately this game just has $$ all over it. I don't think I will return it as the Crazy X mode is the best they've done yet IMHO.

About the PSX, I believe it was originally announced at 350,000 polys and then a few years later they up'ed it to 500,000. Also there was all sorts of texture filtering that it wasn't supposed to do but bright programmers found out ways of doing it.

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

To me, the best version of Crazy Taxi is Taxi mode on Grand Theft Auto 3 (PC & PS2).

Same idea but you get to run over obnoxious fares.

Doug

19. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The Xbox CT3 appears to only include the 'Small Apple' level from CT2, and the original CT West Coast level. This is a great selling point for the game however, but I have heard similar tales of slowdown etc. on the Glitter City level.

I still play the DC CT1&2 to death! Last night, for the first time in arcade mode, I worked my way up to 1st place. For me, that's quite a feat. As much as I like the crazy hop, this massive feeling of guilt comes over me when I hope over a row of cars, almost like I'm cheating or something.

I was so weaned on the basic non-jump mechanics of CT1 that being able to jump felt like I was 'cheating on' the original's game mechanics. There is something quite satisfying about squeezing through a gauntlet of traffic and watching the tips mount, rather than simply gaining tips by soaring through the air.

Joseph

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Joseph,

I feel the exact same way about the crazy hop.