Time for new stuff...please help a noob!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisDS, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

Hi everyone, I found this forum last night...good thing I did!

We just moved to a new (old) house and I struck a deal with my wife that I would let her get all new living room furniture if I can get a new HT.

Being somewhat of a noob, the more I research the more confused I get. A little background first, the only HT component I have bought in the past 10 years is a DVD player. I'm still using my TEAC AG-V3020 Pro-Logic receiver I got in 1994, is that a completely crappy unit (it weighs a ton)?

I have decided to start with a Panasonic TH42PX50U plasma, but after that I'm lost. The guy at Circuit City recommended an Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver, but do I need a new receiver or can I just add new speakers to my old TEAC...will I notice an audio difference with a new receiver?

I noticed that people put their room specs in their posts, so here is where everything is going: The room is 14x15 and has 10' ceilings, wood floors (the wife got an 8x10 wool Persian rug, should help w/echo), there's not a place to put the tv that will be centered on a wall due to windows or doorways, so the tv will have to be slightly off center.

I was prepared to spend $899 on the Bose acoustimass 5.1 speakers but started reading here that people don't recommend them. So I guess that would be my speaker budget...I still like the idea of small speakers w/big sound. I have been using a set of component speakers that in '94 I replaced the 12" woofers with Fosgate's 'cause the originals dry rotted after 16 years. I would like to try something more slim and unobtrusive.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

A new receiver would be a good idea because you are missing out on Dolby Digital and DTS. These discrete digital formats have a completely separate signal for each of the 5 channels, instead of the matrixed surround you are now getting with Pro-Logic. They also have a subwoofer output and subwoofer volume control.

Next, I would suggest a subwoofer. A good sub will make a much more dramatic difference than new speakers.

So, for about $1,000, I would suggest the Pioneer 1015, and something like an SVS PB-10. Later on, you might add the new SVS speaker package that would be ideal with the SVS sub.

3. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

I was checking out the SVS SBS-01 speakers and they look nice...they are much smaller than the cabinets my set with the 12" woofers are in. Are those going to be alot better sound quality than those BOSE speakers I was looking at? I was listening the the speakers in the audio room @ CC and (if they worked) the speakers all started sounding the same.

Are the SVS speakers going to give me the loud booming sound and deep bass that larger speakers would give me? I will be watching movies mainly, but will also listen to music...will they handle both equally well?

4. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Are the SVS speakers going to give me the loud booming sound and deep bass that larger speakers would give me? I will be watching movies mainly, but will also listen to music...will they handle both equally well?

Well, if you have questions about any of the SVS speakers, just give them a call or send them an email. They will be more than willing to help you pick out the right set of speakers for your room and tastes.

One thing though, if you do upgrade to a SVS or other high quality subwoofer, that "booming" you are used to will probably go away. The booming is generally heard when certain frequencies, I think it's like 40hz or around there, are somewhat bloated. Cheaper subwoofers are made to produce only a certain range of the subsonic frequencies, or the really low frequencies, the subsonic stuff that you can feel. I guess it's an aquired ear though. If you want true bass, no bookshelf speaker will ever give you that. You'll need a subwoofer, the .1 in the 5.1, to do that work. You can then set your filter on your reciever to send only the low frequencies to the subwoofer, and the higher frequencies to the bookshelfs. The difference will be night and day I suspect from your old system. The SVS speakers are suited more toward movie duties than music, but that have been proven to be more than capable of reproducing music almost as well. There are several reviews floating around on the new speakers, I would suggest checking them out.

They have complete packages avaliable, right around your price range. And at that price point, there will be no comparison to the Bose system.

5. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Chris DS,

Why don`t you check out the sounds from your locally available shops products and then decide, that way at least you can have a small taste of what it might sound like in your place. From your post it looks like you would be interested in satelites or small bookshelves, you might want to check out the Energy`s , Paradigm Mini monitors, KEF eggs, Wharfedales 9 series(They're bigger thou) and of course SVS sbs's(downside is you can't listen to it unless you know someone who has it and is willing to let you have a go) and a suggestion on the AVR, go digital and Panasonic XR series, they are pretty good for the asking price.
    Enjoy your shopping...

Regards.
    David SGT

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Your best bet here, IMO, would be to upgrade the receiver and add a quality sub. Afterwards you can upgrade the mains and center. AV123 and Magnepan offer some interesting alternatives.

7. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

I just got the new speakers...I got three Klipcsh RVX-42's for the front three and an RW-10 sub and R-5650-S in walls for the rear spakers for a 5.1 system.

8. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

Oh, and I got a Harman/Kardon AVR240 receiver.

9. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

I appreciate all the replies.

10. Ben Nelson

Ben Nelson Extra

Well, How's it sound?

[​IMG]

11. ChrisDS

ChrisDS Extra

Kick arse!!! I'm especially impressed with the rear R-5650-S in wall dipole speakers...awesome, awesome, awesome! The bass from the sub completely fills the room and you can't pinpoint where the bass is coming from, it completely surrounds you.

Love it!