1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Time for new reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_Drake, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Steve_Drake

Steve_Drake Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have a onkyo 603, with a paradigm performance 6.1 speakers (2 focus, 4 atoms, 1 pdr). I have a constant upgrade bug, but limited budget, so is this the right time tech wise to upgrade a reciever, or consider amp/pro amp combo. Ive been reading a lot about HD-dvd/blu ray, and i dont want something that will be soon outdated.

Thanks.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Here is part of the problem. These new HD formats will have the ability of 7.1 surround. These formats will include the current formats but will also debut brand new ones. These two new formats are Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD 7 Channel surround. At this time there are no recievers or pre-pros that have these new formats. And there are basically allmost no recievers or pre-pros that have 7.1 inputs. So that someone might input a new surround format via the process inside the new hd player.

Denon has just put out some recievers with 1080p capible hdmi inputs and outputs. If you purchase a new reciever with the ability to accept a 1080p signal and route it to a new 1080p HDTV. The reciever will not have DD plus or DTS-HD. If your reciever or pre-pro will decode 5.1 and 6.1 formats. I would wait for the new recievers and pre-pros to be available with the new 7.1 decoding.

If it was not for that I would most likely be upgrading my Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 surround reciever with one of the new Denon recievers.

Hope this helps.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There are four new possibilities with Blu-Ray: Dolby Digital Plus lossy, Dolby Digital TrueHD lossless, DTS-HD (lossy and lossless encoding), and uncompressed, high resolution PCM.

All four can do upwards of 8 discrete channels of audio with resolution and sampling rates of up to 24 bits/96 kHz or 24 bits/192 kHz.

You also need HDMI version 1.3 or greater inputs and outputs.

I would wait... a brand new receiver or pre-amp is wasted money right now!

4. Steve_Drake

Steve_Drake Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I think i will wait, but new stuff is always just so tempting.