What's new

Time for me to jump into DirectTV, need to decide between 2 receivers (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I recently received a Circuit City Merchandise Card from a previous Cel Phone purshase.
The card if for $200 and I decided the best use for it right now is to buy a Dolby Digital output Direct TV receiver and do away with cable TV.
There are twe options in Circuit City for me:
RCA DRD450RG link: RCA
and
SONY SATA65
Sony
What is the general opinion about this two receivers?
Does one have significantly better picture quality than the other?
Should I be looking somewhere else.
Keep in mind that I am mostly intersted in picture quality (my receiver takes care of the audio).
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards,
Manuel
:b

David Judah

Screenwriter
They have different menu layouts, but the picture quality is going to be the same.

You should be able to get two rooms installed for free, if not now then in another couple of days. If you are going to want HD soon, then get the 24" dish, so you won't have to swap dishes out later. Then all you will need is the HD decoder box when you are ready.

DJ

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
One other cool featuer the Sony sata65 has is the RF remote. So if you can control the receiver from most anywhere. Its cool if you split the signal to a bedroom set then just take the remote with you and have full control still. Of course you can only watch one thing on the two sets at the same time.

Mike

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
The RF remote feature is the one thing that really made me prefer that one because of being able to have yet an additional room (if mutually exclusive from the primary).

I just hope picture quality is not an issue with these receivers.

Thanks for the comments.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Mainly because of budget.

Those units cost more and the service requires a monthly fee or lump sump payment.

I think the Tivo thing is cool but not a must have for me.

I just hope the DTV receivers are porgrammable to start on a specified hour in a specified channel so I can still use my VCR to record stuff while away from home.

Anyone knows if this is so?

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Never mind, I just realized you can indeed programm the receiver to do all that and more.
Oh, and sorry about the links I didn't realize dependant on computer and session.
Here are links to the manufacuter's website:
For the RCA: URL=http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700063-CI700097,00.html?]http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700063-CI700097,00.html?[/url]
And for the Sony: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...rs/index.shtml
Both have a $50 rebate on Circuit City.
Opinions welcomed.
Thanks.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Sony and like it very much...no problems whatsoever, although it seems to run a bit warm. Plus, like others have said, the RF remote is really cool!

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.

In satellite dish systems, does picture quality tend vary little between receivers?

Is it the features that make a receiver better than the other?

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Mainly because of budget.

Those units cost more and the service requires a monthly fee or lump sump payment.

I think the Tivo thing is cool but not a must have for me.

I just hope the DTV receivers are porgrammable to start on a specified hour in a specified channel so I can still use my VCR to record stuff while away from home.

Manual:

It sounds like, though, that what you are trying to do is easily handeled by having a TiVO/DirecTiVO. Catches everything you like so that you can watch it whenever you can and want. You never have to worry about having a tape or having to remember to put a tape in. And if you were to program the VCR to record every Thursday from 9-10 to catch CSI, what happens if CSI is moved one week for whatever reason......Your VCR won't know to record on a different night. TiVO would.

I went on a business trip for 3 days and left comfortable in that TiVO would record everything for me so that my wife and I could watch together when I got home......

You are a going to be a "new" DirecTV subscriber, right? If so, then you can get a pretty decent deal on DirecTiVO receivers from their website. For instance, you can get a Philips DSR6000 for 129.

And though there is a lump sum for lifetime service on the TiVO end, with DirecTiVOs, you only pay a $5 monthly mirroring fee for any others you add to your account. Standalone TiVOs require a subscription for each one!

All I know is that if I ever go Satellite, I will go DirecTiVO. But Ultimately it is your choice and need to do what is right for you. Just make sure you have actually spent some good time with a friend that has it and play with the TiVO for long enough before you rule out the possibility of going that way......

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Believe me Jeff, I am sorely tempted.

I will keep digging into the whole thing and add everything up.

The Tivo concept is very appealing to me (I am easily seduced by audio/video techonologies) I will not completely rule it out.

Let's just see what the bottom line $$$ is at the end.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Manuel- The circuit city in my area has the DirecTivo (sony model) for $250 after rebate. That would make your cost $50 with your credit.

That being said, these prices look awful high for Directv stuff. I'd wait a month or two and see if you can catch Circuit City with a special; my friend got a Directivo not 3 months ago from them for $99 after rebates.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
It is always prudent to wait, Matt.

The merchandise card is good until June.

Let's see if I can hold for a while.

Thanks for the tip.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
American satellite has the TIVO Philips DSR6000 plus the 24" dish for just over $200 (for new customers).

Jim

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
That's a great price.

However I really should spend the CC certificate on a DBS system or else I don't know what to spend it on (I don't want to buy stuff I don't need just to use it).

Thanks for the tip.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'll have to suggest a TiVo unit too. It's a must-have for anyone that owns a DirecTV subscription. Well worth the money. Everyone I know that got once thanked me for suggesting it.

Mike

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Dont mean to hammer, get the DTiVo. Did you know the DTiVo is also a 5.1 DD receiver? I have 3 and would Quit watching tv if they were gone. It is hands down the coolest A/V thing I have bought in a VERY long time. Also wives seem to like them as much if not more than the guys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks