Time for me to buy a GameCube...who's got the best deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 14, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The missus is a Crazy, Nutty, gotta-have-it fan of all things "Zelda". With a GC version of Zelda in the pipe fir February, I *have* to buy her a 'Cube for Christmas!
    I know - from Glen's Roundup, thanks! - that Target has the GC for the normal $149.99, "no bundle", but you get a $20 gift card with it for use on a future purchase.
    Can anyone recommend better than that?
    Keep in mind:
    • This is going under the tree, so no "testing" until 12/25!
    • 2 total controllers are enough for now
    • We hate all sports and fighting games!
    • We're into classic games...Gauntlet is a sure purchase; Spyhunter's a BIG one for her. Namco Museum & the Pac-Man stuff for me.
    • Dragon's Lair 3-D is something *I* want! [​IMG] Other "mild" adventures.
    • Platformers like Crash Bandicoot and maybe Mario Sunshine are cool, too. Stephie likes Rayman as well! Sonic the Hedgehog.
    • Puzzle games are great: Tetris Worlds & Super Bust-A-Move 3000 [​IMG]
    • MILD racing and flying games; nothing too hard-core. Simpsons Road Rage is maybe my style. Do they make an Afterburner kind of game?
    • Make sure I get cool accessories like Memory Cards and like that. No carrying cases, etc....we're not that hard-core. Just the basics! No broadband or whatever. Maybe a connector to her GameBoy Advance...
    Any help you guys can give is appreciated. Be fast!...we may head to Target tonight!!! [​IMG]

2. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I just did the Target deal for my little guy, picked up the "limited edition" (didn't look very limited, Target had several of them) Platinum GC (he says it looks like a rocket ship - weeeeeee!). Er, anyway, that looked like the best current deal to me. I don't know how else to answer your question without violating the HTF prohibition on info re future deals. Black Friday IS coming....

3. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

Dave, If you are interested in a used set-up, send me an email. I'm trying to sell mine. I even have the remainder of a PRP plan from Best Buy that last til November of next year....

Chad

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Well, if you can get the $20 Gift Card. Nintendo has a SMS bundle where you get a Gamecube and SMS for $190. That might be the best way to go. Get the $20 card with it and pick up the Sonic Mega Collection or a Wave Bird.... Best Controller Ever.

Good luck man.

Glen

5. David Lambert

John, the problem with Black Friday is that the company I work for is moving to a new building, and they're moving the weekend after Thanksgiving (as that gives them an extra "free" day to make the move!).
    I've been volunteered by my boss to be the move co-ordinator for my dept. So there's no way I get to hit up Black Friday sales.
    Perhaps the wife, IF she convinces a friend or family member to take her out. I'll have her only car. Yes, we're a 1-car family...how do you think I afford so many DVDs? [​IMG]
    You CAN always e-mail me privately at the "Mail Me!" thing in my signature (to the right of the TVShowsOnDVD logo).

6. David Lambert

Chad...same answer: send me an e-mail at the address link below. I might be interested, but we probably prefer new. But you never know!

Glen...thanks. I don't know that SMS is worth $40 to us, though. I'll have to ask her. BTW, are we stuck getting the "Platinum" GC with the Target deal? She prefers Indigo.

7. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Do you have an Electronics Boutique near you? The one near me (in-store only, not an online deal) will drop the price of the Cube to 99.99 if you purchase a game and a memory card with it. So, for just a little more than what you would normally spend, you get a game and a memory card. Not sure if other EB's are doing this deal or not but it might be worth a call.

8. David Lambert

James, is that EB thing an in-store discount? I thought it was like a mail-in offer for a gift certificate, or something.

9. GlenHaag

The SMS bundle also includes a Memory card 59. Don't know if that would push you over the top. [​IMG]
    That would take Mario down to $30 bucks. [​IMG]
    Also, EB has their pre-owned Gamecubes for $129. So, that's something.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The Target deal is probably the best. I don't know anything about Black Friday at Best Buy, but I've never seen them do anything with Consoles. Though just to be safe, I won't be buying a PS2 to set next to my Gamecube until I see that circular.

If you need any advice on games to buy and avoid, I'm your man. I'm a Nintendo freak (as evidenced by various other video game threads). Regarding Gauntlet, you'll enjoy it, and it's fairly long, but it's not quite like the original arcade, and it doesn't really stand up to repeat playings. Definitely get it used.

11. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Dave, Target carries Platinum, Black...and Indigo (all 3 were available at my local Target). Please also note that if you apply for a Target card at checkout, which the cashier will almost invariably push, you get another 10% off your purchase. Counting the $20 GC, that would make the effective price of the GC $115. I also see where Fat Wallet has started a consolidated Black Friday thread in addition to the extensive Target Black Friday thread....

Edit: Please try to resist actually discussing the deals you may find in that other forum. I already feel naughty as it is just referring people to another board!

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Thanks for the fatwallet heads up. The Black Friday gamecube deal is cool, though I already have one. I'm itching to see the BB Black Friday ad. I wonder if or when they'll post that.

13. David Lambert

Yeah, I know about Melee..."fighting game". The missus may like it anyway.

You've given me lotsa food for thought; keep it coming. We may not buy tonight, and even if we do Target gives us 90 days to return it, since it will be unopen & with receipt. So keep the ideas rolling! Thanks.

14. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

David, you might be right about the mail-in deal. I can picture the sign in my head, and I seem to recall some small print, but I don't remember for sure what it said. Though, even if that is the case, you could spend the $50 on another game. Hmmm....so the deal would be spend $220 now and get a free game later.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what happened to the weekly roundup for video games. someone had started a few weeks ago?

16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Can somebody give me a hint on the name of that other forum with the black friday info? Guess I haven't been here long enough to pick it up...Thanks!

17. GlenHaag

Tony,
    I'm still doing it.
    It's out there in the forum for Coupons and Bargains.
    Here's the link though.
    Videogame bargains
    BTW, there is an update specifically for you in there David. [​IMG]
    Later,
    Glen

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Too sneaky for me Glenn, but I did some hunting around and figured it out. Thanks!

19. David Lambert

Glen: saw it.
    DavidFTP: the secret word is "fatwallet".
    Status: The missus wasn't interested in the "Melee" game, and none of the other Black Friday deals we spotted seemed interesting...to us. So we went to Target and looked things over. No Gauntlet (or SpyHunter, Glen!) in stock. Saw a bunch of indigo 'Cubes buried under some games on the bottom shelf. There was a card taped to the glass security door explaining the $20 gift card deal, expiring Saturday.
    Long search, finally stumbled across a lady who could sell me the system. She dug it out and we asked about "what if we spend the giftcard and THEN return the system for some reason?" She thought it would be no problem, but called someone and asked (who said it would NOT be all right; I'd have to return the card OR whatever the card was used for if the unit was returned...whatever).
    While she was calling, the missus realized the unit the gal had dug out was a SMS/memorycard bundle pack. Before we had a chance to point it out (cause she was still on the phone), the woman started ringing us up. When the bundle rang in at $189.99, she finished on the phone, explained about the card and the return policy, and then acted confused over why the thing rang up "too high".
    She *almost* adjusted the price of the thing to $149.99!!
    But at the last second sanity struck her, and she spun the box around and saw that it was the bundle. She then asked if we wanted that one or the "plain version".
    "Does the $20 gift card come with the bundle, too?" I asked, knowing full well that the answer should be "no".
    "Let me check," she said. She called back the supervisor, who said "sure, why not". So we took the $189.99 SMS/memorycard bundle with the $20 gift card!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

that's awesome.

almost super awesome, but still awesome. mario is much fun.