Time for HTF to come to the rescue again. best TV for $350 - $400

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Grady Hollums, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I always have people come to me asking what they should buy. Well, I actually know most of my stuff when it comes to HDTV's but when it comes to non-HDTV's then I get more clueless.

So, I have a college student that wants to spend $350 -$400 locally (in Lexington, KY) he wants the best TV and would like to have a 32", but would be OK with a 27".

So does anyone have any suggestions to help out a friend to help out his college friend? Thank you in advance!

Probably need to look into the local stores, BB, CC, Sears, Etc... Thank you for you help!

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If he can stretch his budget to about $470 he could pick up (from Circuit City) a Samsung TXN2745FP which is a 27" EDTV (480p but not 1080i or 720p) which would be great for DVD and even HDTV (although not the full HD resolution). If he really wants 32" I would look at a Phillips Faux Flat or Toshiba 32" from Best Buy. Sears also has the same Toshiba 32" as best buy for the same price, but they're also currently offering a free stand with it ($50 value maybe).

If he wants to take a look at some higher end stuff (but definitely out of his price range) send him to Ovation on Nicholasville Road near Outback or to Barny Miller's downtown next to the Kentucky Theater. Barny Miller's is the only shop I've ever seen carry Lowe direct view sets, which were extremely nice even compared to the sony XBRs.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Thanks Stephen:

I will do. Yeah i tried to get him to go with EDTV stuff too, but I think he is a typical college student and will not see past the "big screen" mentality, heh heh. I will try to sell him on it again, but can't make any promises. Thank you for your suggestions! Man I miss KY, but Nm is OK too I guess....VERY much still in culture shock and I have been here one year, heh.

Thanks again![​IMG]

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

One more option, if he can stretch his budget a bit farther than I mentioned before, is a Sanyo 32" non-flat HDTV that walmart has for $500. I know sanyo isn't the most reputable name in TVs, but with Walmart's super leniant return policy it might be worth a shot.

KY is great and i'll miss it for the next 6 weeks (i'm in England studying abroad). I hope to get to check out some high end stored here and hopefully listen to some Wharfedale Pacific Evolutions (which I may purchase in the states if I like them here). One thing that's crazy about England is TV prices. Everything is widescreen but you'll pay 400 pounds (apx $800 us) for a 28" widescreen set that's not even HD. RPTV (including CRT, DLP, LCD, and LCOS) are non-existent from what I've seen so far.

I'm sure no-one was looking for my US/UK electronics comparrisons but i thought i'd toss 'em in anyway [​IMG]

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The sonys right now are a bit more exspensive... but keep your eyes open they are discontinuing this model line. So they should get cheaper. Thats when you get get a good deal.

6. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

^^^^Incorrect statement
    Sanyo's are the highest consumer rated TV's right now. They make some of the best products at the time and you can't go wrong with them.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Consumers also rate Bose as one of the best brands in the world. Watchy!