Time for an upgrade, budget receiver Yamaha any good ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MathBrisk, Jul 31, 2003.

1. MathBrisk

MathBrisk Extra

Hi there,

I currently have 4 Paradigm Titans and a CC230. My sub will be a D-box 303 (currently have Utterly crappy sub). I am currently using a Pioneer VSX-D409 which I simply hate. Now, I've heard many people saying that all receivers under 400 $ (US) were the same, but I don't agree. I heard the Yamaha 5440 on the exact same setup (mind you, in a different room but still..) and I was blown away. I have to choose between those 2 receivers (if you have any other better suggestions, go ahead) :
    5550 (368 $ CND) :
    -Cheaper than 5640 (368 $ VS 415 $)
    -More video inputs (5 VS 4)
    -S-Video Switching
    -3 Optical (VS 1)
    5640 (415 $):
    -Has DTS 6.1 and DD EX
    -Better linear damping (100 VS 80... what does that mean anyways ?)
    -More programs and DSP (24 VS 21)
    -Speaker A/B switching

So, do you guys think this would be a good investment, and if so, which one is the best buy ? Any other brand I should look into ? I have seen you recommend the Marantz SR5200 over the Yamaha in an other thread. Why exactly ? Sorry if this sounds like a very newbie remark but what's so great about having 6 discreet channels ? (the 5550 has five right ?) Also, I don't really need a lot of inputs/outputs, I am looking for good sound (that's why I find the price differences between lets say 5640 ans 5660 to be ridiculous).Thanks a lot !

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I just recently upgraded from an old Pioneer to a Yamaha RX-V640, which is virtually the same as the HTR-5660. I too noticed a difference between the Yammie and Pioneer. The Yammie has so much more power and cleanliness over the Pio. At least in my room. [​IMG]

As far as six discrete channels, that is for the newer surround modes, DD-EX and DTS-ES. These two just add a rear center channel. Not many movies use them and who knows what the future holds. But I was intent on getting a receiver that were EX and ES capable just in case. Plus, I needed preamp outputs which, EX and ES tend to be a given on receivers with preamps. So, six channels isn't necessarily something everyone should make sure they have. So, you may not need it in this case.

3. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Why not compromise and get the 5650, lol, I mean covers everything between those two receivers. My partner just got the 5550 and it is nice receiver for the money I think. Futureshop has the 5550 for like $325 so he ended up going for that vs. $415 or something for the 5640. In my opinion the fact that the 5640 only has two digital inputs is a fatal flaw but that is just me, yet on the other hand as a person who likes to keep up to date a 6.1 receiver is very attractive. If all else fails go by weight of the receiver and buy the heavier one as it will most likley sound better. Cheers.

4. MathBrisk

MathBrisk Extra

Thanks for the reply [​IMG]
    Well I'd go for the 5650 but check this :
    5550 : 368 $ Can (thats including taxes and all)
    5650 : 506 $ Can

You see, there is somekind of a huge difference :

In which Futureshop did your friend find that deal ? I'm very interested [​IMG])

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The entire new line of Yamahas (56x0) are 6.1 discrete with support for DD-EX and DTS-ES, DTS:Neo6, etc...they are a rather large improvement over last year's models for not much more money (although the commissioned guys at Future Shop will really drop their pants on Clearance stuff [​IMG])

6. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I got mixed up the receiver he got the deal on was the 5540 not the 5550.