What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Got to see the problem firsthand tonight that has been widely reported on various forums, including Apple's discussion groups and that is my machine being spontaneously logged out without warning. Some people think it may relate to a flaw in Rosetta and that may be possible, given that I was trying to close out of Quicken 2007 when the logout took place. Luckily I wasn't working on anything that hadn't been saved.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've seen that on 10.6 and 10.5 on my MBP and iMac. It's rare for me; like the few gray-screen bombs I've had.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by DaveF

John Nack only commented on Photoshop, and not the whole of CS3. Since then, there have been significant anecdotal reports, like Parker's, that CS3 does have minor, perhaps major, issues with 10.6. So, I've decided not to risk borking my wife's workflow for now. I'll continue to watch how the winds blow, but I may not upgrade her until she can upgrade to CS5 or whatever's next.
Absolutely, I meant to add a comment that it seems Adobe has a bit of 'head stuck in the ground' where this stuff is concerned.

I was REALLY bummed that they just went through the last Photoshop World and Max Events without announcing CS5. Looks like we gotta wait till January 18th now. God only knows when they will update Lightroom, but that runs flawlessly on Snow Leopard.

If any of you are considering going to CS4 in the meantime, I STRONGLY recommend you try to do so through an academic institution. Adobe has a number of purchase programs but this one is by far the best:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/students/school_listing.html

CS4 Production Premium (a $1699 product) for $299. Students could get the Adobe Master Collection, EVERY program Adobe sells, a $2499 program, for $499!!!!!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah if you have an affiliation with an academic institution, that's definitely the way to purchase Adobe products. I know CS5 hasn't been officially announced, but I thought I read somewhere that Adobe had settled in to an "18 month release cycle" for the CS line, and it's been a year since CS4 was launched (10/15/08 according to Wiki).

I have CS3 Design Premium and for the few programs I use it for, so far so good on SL (knock on wood). I'm so paranoid now about any Adobe/Apple incompatibilities that I'm going to limp along for 6 months on CS3 DP until CS5 comes out. CS5 should be completely solid on SL.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As my wife's CFO :) I too am annoyed that Adobe has abandoned CS3 so soon.

As it's so expensive, my wife only upgrades every other edition, at most. And since she's not even full-time equivalent, I can see waiting until 2011 (and perhaps CS5). But it's really her call.

As for upgrading: even if we were students, student-edition software is typically not licensed for professional use. (Even the MS Office Home / Student package prohibits commercial use.) (And this may be not the same as an edu discount for employees, as with my modest corp discount.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Adobe student editions ARE perfectly legal in professional/commercial use:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/453900
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

at least in NORTH AMERICA. YMMV outside it.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
The two CS3 products I use are Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

Photoshop CS3 installed OK and seems to be working although I've only done some limited testing with some minor edits.

Dreamweaver CS3 installed OK but is already showing problem signs. Some of the panels don't refresh properly.

Looks like I'm going to have to go back to Leopard on my iMac at least.

The other big app I use is Office 2008. It needed Rosetta for the installer but otherwise runs fine on Snow Leopard.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the notes on your experience, Darren. I'm definitely convinced to keep my wife at 10.5 for now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazing.

Now, I use CS4 but only know the basics.

Have always wanted to learn how to remove photos and
replace them with others. Mainly want to do parody photos
replacing faces of others.

That video demo. Damn. It looks like you just mark
a general area of the photo and you can remove an
object without disturbing what is beneath it.

If only I could learn how to do that kind of stuff.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
BIG 64 bit changes for CS5 / Photoshop Next remains 32 bit capable tho:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/10/next_versions_of_ae_premiere_pro_to_be_64-bit_only.html

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I bought SL soon after release but held off on updating my macbook due to some problems people reported. Is it okay to go through with this now?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Uhm....probably.

I installed SL on my desktop and then removed it shortly
thereafter. Just reinstalled it last week because at least
two of the three mail plug-ins and system tweaks I use
just became available for the format.

That being said it's not perfect. There are many such as
myself that find their computer suddenly put to sleep after
being idle. That's fine, but waking it up results in delays
and a spinning ball. I am sure this will be addressed in the
next update.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw

I bought SL soon after release but held off on updating my macbook due to some problems people reported. Is it okay to go through with this now?
Check here: http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

If your key applications are all reported as working or having updates for compatibility, then you should have a smooth upgrade experience. Do 10.6 and then update all your applications.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Looks like with version 3.2.1 EyeTV is finally happily co-existing with Snow Leopard, most notably digital audio out works correctly.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Im using it. Did it reset anyone else to make them set audio from internal to line out?
Nope, but I'm using external speakers on my iMac anyway so maybe that had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks