What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Christian Behrens

Also, they didn't just leave out all the printer drivers from the installation, they implemented a new way of basically auto-installing the driver for you.I was being a bit hyperbolic. As I said, I've bought SL and by all accounts it's a solid technological improvement. And I'm hoping it fixes some flakiness that's developed in 10.5 on my MBP. But Snow Leopard will feel worthwhile when apps take advantage of its new features. Until then, it does feel a bit like my auto mechanic telling me that, for a nominal fee, he's going to change all the nuts and bolts from English to Metric hardware; and make the gas tank a gallon larger. Sure, I won't notice any of it right now, but really the car will be easier to service in a few years.

And finally, sounds like the CS3 situation was totally overblown by Adobe. MacRumours reports that "the Photoshop team has tested Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard, and to the best of our knowledge, PS CS3 works fine on Snow Leopard".
We're still waiting to hear about the other 80% of CS3: Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, and Dreamweaver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to shake my head at the continued shrugging off of the long term impact of SL. Double the power of your computer for $29. What a rip-off. Yeah, it will take a little time to fully implement, but anything this global takes time. I would MUCH rather have real performance improvements, cheap, than bells and whistles immediately for 5 times the price.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by JohnRice

I have to shake my head at the continued shrugging off of the long term impact of SL.
And that's the selling difficulty. Pay now for what might come later. Typically we pay for immediate benefits. Snow Leopard is some perks now, but mostly promises of greatness to come. (Unlike 10.5 which came with frilly silly gee-gaws like Time Machine and Spotlight.)

I'm not shrugging it off: my $40 spent speaks to that. But I appreciate the few hesitations I've read.

Originally Posted by Christian Behrens

Honestly, if you still have to sync an old Palm with a Mac, you really should have the Missing Sync for Palm. Anything else is just not working the way it should.
Be that as it may, I've been syncing to Palm Desktop for 2 years on the Mac and it works and my wife and me. I'd like to upgrade but there is nothing but expensive smartphones now, and that's not in the budget quite yet.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

Actually, there are some software conduits that have never worked right under Missing Sync that still work under the old Palm Desktop software on 10.5.
Really? I only remember how hard it was even find the latest version of Palm Desktop for the Mac a few years back. At that point I had it. We got a license for Missing Sync for my wife's laptop years ago at Macworld for a reduced price. That was even before Leopard. Worked like a charm. But she's been using her iPod Touch for a while now :).

-Christian

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FedEx is supposed to deliver 10.6 today! I doubt I can install it 'til Sat or Sun, but I'm eager to get answers to my worries.

I wonder if I can install CS3 on my machine for my wife to test? She has upgrade versions; need to talk to her about that. It might be a good way to test it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am upgrading my 2.33 C2D MBP right now. I have Design Premium CS3. I'll let people know if this breaks it. I cloned my 10.5.7 OSX last night so I can just clone back if Snow Leopard blows up my system, but somehow I don't think I'll need to.

The only known incompatibility is my 3.0 Parallels, which I haven't used in months and should probably uninstall anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Installed! (spontaneous half-day off and early FedEx delivery...)

Almost 12 GB more free space on my drive! I'm impressed, as I'd stripped out a bunch of stuff with Monolingual when I bought my machine in '07. Though maybe I didn't re-run that after the 10.5 upgrade?

The intro movie is the original Leopard movie. Really, nothing to announce that you've gutted and rebuilt your OS.

A Rosetta installer dialog came up post haste, so MS Office 2004 can run its updater.

And that's all I know. Time to see what's what and if it all runs.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I need a simple to use and cheap hard drive for backing up files and such before I install snow leopard - would this one be okay? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8994485&type=product&id=1218008588879
I'm kind of worried it wouldn't be enough space. What do you guys use?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Installed as well. The Apple apps function (duh), iWork 09, iLife 09 and Logic Studio (new version). Excel and Word of Office 2008 also ran successfully.

I won't get a chance to test out CS3 more fully until tonight but Photoshop opened successfully a RAW file and I did minor edits (didn't save).

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
My install took right around 45 minutes and was totally painless. I did a pre-install Time Machine backup, and the post-install backup is going on as I type this.

My knee-jerk reaction so far is that the display on my 24 inch iMac (with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS card) seems like it has more contrast (this is a good thing IMO.) But, since I do a lot of CS4 work, I may have to switch to a different calibration setting if it throws off my pre-press evaluation judgement. Also, something about the internal sound appears to be different, (more spatial?) but I can't say for sure what it is. BTW, I did a quick boot of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator and all appear to run without incident. GarageBand '09 definitely struck me as being more robust. Bear in mind these are very preliminary, knee-jerk reactions right after upgrading...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Southpaw /forum/thread/292011/time-for-an-official-snow-leopard-thread/30#post_3600407

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

This is a must read.

Someone just posted a hack to enable missing Logitech mouse functionality (hooray!). I'll be watching this page. I'd like to get in to add some missing entries, but it's quite busy and always locked.

Palm Desktop still works. Palm OS sync still works.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So does anyone have info on whether Office 2004 works/doesn't?

According to the Apple status page, my SL update ($10 variety) (ordered on Aug. 11th) still hasn't shipped.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Office 2004 works. It will prompt you to install Rosetta at first run. I launched Word, took a quick look, and quit it. I've not played extensively with it.

Tivo Desktop does not work. This is bad. I use our two TivoHD's to stream iTunes in the Living Room and Bedroom. Losing this feature...not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks