Time for a pro ISF Calibration for my Toshiba? (5 months old)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

TV: Toshiba CW34XC2 direct view 34" (purchased in May 2001)
    DVD1: Panasonic RP91 (component)
    DVD2: Apex AD-600A (S-video)
    VCR: Mitsubishi but who cares
    Calibration discs: Avia, with VE on the way.
    Problems:
    Red push 20+% (according to Avia)
    Left 5% overscan. Right is OK and it's a few % top and bottom.
    Tilt: Screen is slightly but noticeably tilted clockwise.
    Geometry: Can't say too much about it at this point.
    I'm thinking it's a bit too early for this set for calibration, but I am considering it, vs. just a red push correction for the time being, if someone can tell me how to do it on this set. I could also get a Mitsu red push attenuator for US$35, which corrects a 25% push.
    How much can the tilt and overscan be corrected on these sets? Who can advise a good local calibrator in/near Toronto? I don't want an Avia/VE toting guy who just plays with my user menu settings. Or, are there any of the more popular guys planning a Toronto tour any time soon?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

2. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eugene,
    One of the best in the industry lives in Calgary.
    Michael TLV
    The Laser Video Experience
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    (403) 254-8948
    [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Thanks errol,
    Actually, Michael told me about your website. I have been playing with a few of my TV's settings with info I've gotten from there. Of course, I do have the factory settings (which incidentally your website lists). I now understand a few of the geometry settings and I've corrected some of the vertical pixel cropping problem, but the left horizontal cropping and red push business still eludes me, since I don't know what settings are necessary. RCUT seems to alter the colour intensity but not the push. Michael has mentioned that there are about 5 settings that need to be changed to get rid of the red push, but my problem is that I have been only brave enough to change 1 or 2 settings at a time. If I knew what those settings to alter were, then I could play around without messing things up too much.
    It would be nice if Michael could visit, but I am in Toronto. Even if he were coming to Toronto... I know it's probably worth it, but I'm not sure if now is the right time anyway, since my TV is only 5 months old and is used less than in the average home. It is a fair chunk of coin afterall, and I'd be irritated to get it calibrated only to see it change significantly soon after because the TV was relatively new and hadn't had time to "settle" yet. Maybe several months from now. (Is this a valid concern?)
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 07, 2001 at 08:41 AM]