Time for a new RPTV ; Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Sherman, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Rich Sherman

Rich Sherman Auditioning

It's that time. I'm looking for the biggest HD RPTV for $3000 to $3500. Most of my watching is DirecTV satellite (4:3) and I own very few DVD's. I want this set to last, so I'd like the zoom / stretch mode on a 16:9 to be good until needed (2006?).

My wife (bless her little heart) wants something that will last for years, so HD is a must. I'm torn between HD Upgradeable and HD integrated. I want the BIGGEST set I can afford since this is going in a 22' by 17' family room.

Should I go for the larger set and leave a HD set top box for later?

I've been reading and reading and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Mits? Toshiba? Hitachi? HD Ready or Upgradeable? 4:3 or 16:9?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rich S.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

At this stage of the game, what with connectivity issues being so up in the air, I'd opt for a separate STB. I'd also advise purchasing a native 16:9 set. Don't go for as much picture real estate as you can get but, instead, go for the best-quality picture you can afford. Toshiba's 57HX81 comes to mind.

If you were to purchase a 4:3 HD-capable set, consider only those that feature a 16:9 raster-compression mode.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Dude, this is a no-brainer. You gotta go for the Toshiba 65HX81. It can be had for right at $3000.

5. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Take a serious look at the Hitachi's. The 53UWX can be had for ~$2400. No Push issues and the picture is fantastic.

6. Rich Sherman

Rich Sherman Auditioning

Thanks to all. I actually had the 2 Tosh's on my list, but When it comes to dropping $3K, I need a little encouragement.

Thanks again

Rich S.

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

8. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

The 2006 "deadline" is for digital TV, not necessarily HDTV. No one is required to broadcast anything in HD, so who will add more HD programming and how much there will be by that time is anyone's guess. After watching DirecTV on my friend's 60" Mitsubishi (analog) from as close as 10 feet this weekend, it may as well have been a DVD playing it looked so good. Makes me wonder if the whole quest for HD isn't just a big waste of time and money, for the most part.

Future 16:9 HD programming is up in the air, so make sure you buy for what you think you will watch the most during the next years. For 4:3 material, a 4:3 set looks HUGE next to a comparable 16:9 set, and a 4:3 HD set can usually do everything a 16:9 HD set can do anyway. Be honest and ask yourself what type of programming you think you will watch more.

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor