What's new

Time for a new receiver (1 Viewer)

Quinn

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

Its been a while since I have posted but I am in need of some advice. I currently have Paradigm Titan mains, CC-170 center, SVS PB1-ISD sub, and cheap Kenwood surounds. The receiver is a Kenwood VR-507 (from an old HTB) which eworked well, but it is beginning to stop receiving remote commands unless warmed up. I have seen many people with this same problem on Remotecentral.

Anyhow, this provides the perfect opporunity to upgrade. I would like to stay right around $400 and do not know if I should bump up to a 6 or 7 channel system. If so, I would have to invest in more surrounds. ANyhow, any advice you could offer would be great!

THanks,
Quinn

DanJV

Grip
Quinn....there are a couple of obvious choices in the $400 price range right now.

Most would recommend the Pioneer 1014 becasue it is THX Select, has MCACC and DPL IIx and some say is almost the same as their Elite 52TX. You can get it on-line for about $400.

Marantz puts out some very nice AVRs, too. I'd go to www.ac4l.com and take a look at what they currently have in stock. I've done business with them several times. They are the only Marantz authorized internet dealer and customre service is top notch. They also have good prices.

Quinn

Stunt Coordinator
I checked out ac4l.com but all of the Marantz receivers were factory reconditioned. What is the general consensus on quality of a recon?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I still have a Denon refurb DVD player, and had and sold another one previously. No problems AT ALL and I saved 50% off MSRP INSTANTLY. AC4L is authorized by Marantz, so it's not grey market, and last I checked, you get a factory warranty as well.

Peka J

Agent
Quinn, not to suggest that upgrading wouldn't be a good thing as that receiver is a bit long in the tooth, but you should know that it can easily be fixed if you want to keep it. The problem you mentioned is very, very common with that receiver. My father had it happen to him. Someone had a thread about it on HTF a while back, and it was suggested that the porblem lay in the solder points on the IR sensor coming loose over time. The solution was simply to remove the front face plate and touch up with fresh solder the three contact points of the IR sensor with the circuit board that is attached to the faceplate. I never soldered in my life and I did it in a few minutes and the receiver has worked ever since. That was almost a year ago I think. Search for Kenwood 507 and you should find the thread. It was really easy even if you have never done anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread