time for a new receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BobCleary, Sep 20, 2003.

1. BobCleary

BobCleary Auditioning

My receiver (NAD T751) seems to have crapped out on me. Used to be that the right front channel would occassionally go out (only while in 5.1 mode; worked fine in 2 channel), but now the receiver just shuts itself off. I turn it on, and it turns itself off after about 5 seconds. So it seems time to buy a replacement.

Here are some specifics:

Price range: could go up to $750, but would like to stay less than $500.
    Speakers: PSB Image series
    Must haves: excellent music reproduction
    Nice to have: powered second zone to run a set of speakers in the kitchen
    Constraints: not NAD!

Any suggestions?

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

HK AVR-525

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I second the HK. The AVR-325 and 525 are both two excellent choices, I think the 525 would be more for what you are looking for though. Harman/Kardon is coming out with there new product line soon so you should be able to find a nice deal on there current line.

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I would recommend the Denon 2803. It can be found online for around $550.00-$600.00. Btw, I have a NAD T762 and absolutlely love its stereo reproduction. As great as the Denon I'm recommending is, I doubt it would match the NAD in pure stereo.

Reg

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I used to love Denon, but after hearing many other receivers, there's a lot of beauties out there.

Don't forget to check out:

- Yamaha receivers (e.g. - the new 1400)
    - New Sony "ES" receivers (2000ES and 3000ES) - However, there appears to be some "supply" issues at the moment and it could take another month before we see new ones in the stores.
    - H/K Receivers. Prices on the AVR-325 and AVR-525 are quite good right now because the newer receivers are on the horizon.
    - Onkyo receivers: Look for refurbs (especially the "800" model because it includes pre-outs)
    - Pioneer Elite (Look for the 43TX which can be found for $500 - $700 right now)

Enjoy !!