What's new

Time for a new DVD player...need some advice. (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Hello folks... As I became distracted by my newfound lust for flea-powered tube amps and two channel stereo and Lowther horns, something terrible happened...
My DVD player became obsolete! I have a brand new B&K Ref 30 that I can't really test properly because my DVP-S300 doesn't have optical out...so...no DTS. Hate to replace it in the main HT because it is a very nice player...but so it goes.
So....let's say I've got about 1.5K to spend on a new player. My aging Toshiba TW56-D90 is soon (within a year or two, or when it blows out..whichever comes first) to be replaced by some sort of HDTV front projector. I will want something that has progressive scan, component out, and is overall the best possible player with an emphasis on DVD MOVIES. So I'm talking about video reproduction and multichannel theater audio.
I could care less about DVD-A, SACD, Redbook, or anything else musically....if the features are there then wonderful...great...I'll have fun playing with them...but I have another setup in another room that handles music only...HT is for movies and TV only. There is stereo music in the HT as well, but for the serious listening, I go to the "dark room" where the only digital stuff is on my hands and feet.
So...basically..what is the best player in the 1K - 1.5K zone that I can get considering the above?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Seth

Agent
The best player that you can get easily under $1500.00 right now would have to be the Sony DVP-S9000ES. As a added bonus it's also a SACD player. It has a very good progressive picture.
Seth

Seth

Agent
I forgot. Another good player is the Denon DVD-2800. This might even be better then the Sony picture wise, I haven't seen it yet. Plus it's under $1000.00 MSRP $799.99. It passed a couple of video test better then the Sony. Theres a review in the new issue of Widescreen Review.
Seth

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
There are many threads on this forum in praise of the Panasonic RP91 which can be found for less than $500. Many have said it is superior to the Denon and Sony. I like mine a lot, but I haven't seen either of the others. What I am saying is don't let the low price keep you from checking out the RP91. It just might be the best of the lot.
------------------

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Seth,
There is one area that the Sony DVP-S9000ES is the best player under US$1500 -- it plays SACD. It's MPEG decoder exhibits the Chroma bug, and the Genesis chipset displays the standard flaws of the chipset.
The Panasonic RP-91N/K is a better choice since its MPEG decoder doesn't exhibit the Chroma bug. In addition the scaling feature allows you to zoom a non-anamorphic presentation to full screen.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Editor, PC/Home Theater
Link Removed
[Edited last by John Kotches on July 16, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
John,
Is the chroma bug present in all the video modes? (composite, s, and component)
I had just heard about this and as I stated earlier, video performance is the most important function I'm looking for, so this "bug" would probably knock the Sony out of the running. SACD or not. If I really want SACD I'll get a used SCD-1(model number may be wrong....the first one Sony put out...looked like a tank) and listen in stereo....since I figure it's going to take a few decades before most producers get the multichannel thing working. I mean, they just now figured out stereo...kidding...but only a little.

Manny,
Can you wait a few months? Toshiba's new line of players will be out. There are going to be a few progressive scan models. I have a feeling these will out do the RP91, and at a better price.
laugh.gif

------------------
[Edited last by William Anthony on July 16, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Manny,
The error is in the MPEG decoder, which is in front of the outputs, so it's visible on all of the output of the player.
It will be most apparent on component video and progressive output, but it's always there.
Stacey and Don showed me the chroma bug when I was in Seattle for Benchmark 2, and now I notice it all the time on the 55" Mitsu HD set I'm using. Damn them for educating me!
Unless Toshiba changes MPEG decoders on the new line, they'll still have the chroma bug.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Greg S

Supporting Actor
I vote for the RP-91 it will save you some $$ to buy an SACD player if you wish.
I saw the Denon 2800 at my local dealer and while I thought it was nice I think my RP-91 looks better and costs less.
From the readings I have done try to find a player that is based on the Faroudja chipset. I know Kenwood is supposed to have their megachanger out soon but I believe that there is supposed to be a single disc model as well(not sure though).
Anyway I am very happy with my RP-91 for $439.00.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks