What's new

Time for a new DVD player - HELP! (1 Viewer)

Eric L.

Grip
The ole' JVC DVD player has bit the dust. Since I don't have HDMI as an option, what is my best choice for a new DVD player?

My HT:

InFocus ScreenPlay 5000 projector - 720p
DIY 93" screen - How-To: Make a custom projector screen
(Need new DVD Player)
Yamaha 5550 receiver - No HDMI
Klipsch Quintet III surround speakers
SVS 25-31 PCI sub

Thanks for all of your help. I built my HT back in 2006 and purchased the above equipment (except the Klipsch speakers) based on HTF member recommendations.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm not sure I understand. Your projector has a DVI input according to projector central. Why not get a DVI to HDMI adapter and get a blu ray player? If you get the right BDP, you can also listen to the new HD audio. Your receiver according to Yamaha has 5.1 channel audio inputs. Get a BDP with 5.1 analog audio outputs like the Sony 550 or Panasonic 55 (or their upcoming replacements) and your system will be 100% current. No reason to limit yourself to dvd.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Agreed. If you can afford it, now is the perfect time to jump to Blu-Ray. You can have HD as well as enjoy your current SD collection. :emoji_thumbsup:

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I think I would wait just a little to buy a new BD player. All of the new models are just being announced and if you want full capability, it's not the best time. I've been looking at upgrading and have just decided to hold off a bit longer.

You could always buy my Denon DVD-2900 that I have up for sale, then you have a very good SD player and SACD ability since you have 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver ;)

Sorry, shameless plug, but really if you're considering blu-ray it might be worth waiting if you want the latest features, if not you will probably be able to get a decent deal on close out when the new models come out shortly.

Eric L.

Grip
This is exactly why I use this forum. I thought the dvi was for a computer connection. I should have looked that up.
What about using optical for the audio? Does that open more options for me?

I saw at my local Best Buy a Samsung BD-P1600 with Netflix and Pandora?
What about a PS3? It would be 90% movies and 10% games.
I am open to any recommendations.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Using optical would allow you to get an entry level BDP and save a few bucks and be easier to install. The cost of doing it that way would be that you couldn't listen to the new lossless audio formats that are available on BD. PS3 is good if you're a gamer. It has an HDMI out which you'd connect to your DVI adapter, but it does not have analog outs, so again, no lossless audio for you unless you upgrade your receiver. The other oft mentioned potential negative with the PS3 is that the remote uses blue tooth technology, so it's incompatible with universal remotes if you use one. PS3 does have the benefit of extremely fast boot and load times.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
At the moment the PS3 is by far the most highly recommended BD player. However, with your current receiver, I don't believe there is any way to get the new audio formats without using 5.1 analog from a BD player that has onboard decoder and analog outs. You can't get it from PS3 without HDMI on your receiver, it will decode, but still sends it through HDMI and doesn't have the necessary analog outputs.

The highest rated current player that will do this is the Pan 550 which is discontinued and seems to have gone up in price since. Pan has a replacement coming out, but I don't think it is yet. That's why I decided not to worry about it at the moment.

Guess we were typing at the same time, the other negative I have seen a lot on the PS3 is a very loud fan that is annoying if you don't have it in a closed cabinet.

Eric L.

Grip
Looks like I might seriously consider the Sony 550. I can sign up for a Sony credit card and get a $200 credit for a purchase over $349

Or wait for the Oppo BDP-83? Price is always a consideration, but quality and ease of use is important to me as well.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
That was a great review on the Oppo. That looks like a very nice piece, but sounds like it may be pretty hard to get your hands on one when it finally comes out, and it is pricey.

Eric L.

Grip
Ok. The budget has changed a little. Since starting this thread, our bedroom TV has also decided to throw in the towel. So the BRD is no longer an option at this time.

Considering the gear that I have and keeping my projector connected with component cables, is an upconvert player an option?

The ice is already here in the mid-west and snow is on the way, so the wife gently asked me to "stop researching and get something" so we could have a movie night tonight with the kids.

David Norman

Premium
My advice -- go Blu or go for an decent but inexpensive DVD player as an interim player.

You didn't happen to apply for the Sony CC when they had the $200 back offer? If so you could use to to defer your upfront costs of either the player or the new TV. And there's the long standing yet to be confirmed rumor that Sony will be cutting the PS3 price by $100 sometime in April.

Personally with a 93 inch projector, I'd do whatever it takes to get a BluRay player. Most BDP's are very good to excellent upconverters, most DVD/BD players can't upconvert through component connections so you might still be better off going with the DVI/HDMI route with the optical out to get DD. Many displays upconvert the signal about as well as some on the non elite players (higher end Denon or Oppo) anyway so the component cables may work just as well. I think a few of the OPPO's do upconvert over component with a fairly simple tweak, but it's been awhile since I've looked at those types of things.

The new Panasonics are showing up in BB and Frys, a PS3 would give you the gaming angle -- SAM's Club is running a gift card special starting tomorrow with $50 or $100 card for purshasing a PS3 80 or 160GB player though doesn't help you if you want a player tonight.

There are also some closeout/demo/open box deals on last years models which could net you a good player for less $$$.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess you don't have a DVD player for your bedroom TV then?

If you do, maybe you should just move that one (back) into your HT for the near term until you can buy a BD player. Considering that you're trying hard to be budget conscious, that would probably be the most sensible thing to do (and just go w/out DVDs in the bedroom for the near term). Of course, that only works if you do have a bedroom player...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHoltz
Recent bookmarks