Time for a Change

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lew Crippen, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My wife and I are in the midst of selling our house in Dallas, purchasing a home in Mexico, retiring and moving. With any luck, all of this should happen in the next two to three months.

We expect to close on our Dallas home on the 26th of this month and will rent back until mid-November.

We should close on the house in Mexico in mid-October.

Get appropriate visas in the meantime.

I retire on October 15.

Pack and move sometime between mid-October and mid-November.

Our household goods should arrive 2–3 weeks after they are packed up.

This means, worst case we will be living in a new home before Christmas.

We are both really looking forward to a new adventure.

On the movie downside, there is only a small, three-screen theater in our new town. It looks as though they show only first-run, mainstream movies with Spanish subtitles and major Spanish-language films.

The nearest big city, Guadalajara, has a lot of theaters, but of course films in languages other than English will have Spanish subtitles (or be dubbed) and my survival Esapñol is not nearly good enough to read subtitles.

This is the only downside.

2. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Congrats on retiring. If I may, what made you decide to move to mexico? (you don't have to answer if you don't feel like it)

Hope all goes well. Are you still going to be able to visit HTF?

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Enjoy Lew and the best of luck to you and your family on the new adventure. Scary and exciting all at the same time.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Lew, I certainly hope we will still see you around here. Your contributions are immeasurable. I, personally really dig your posts. If I may ask, where in Mexico(region)?

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Mazeltov, Lew. I hope you and the missus have a great time in your new locale once you get down there.

6. Lew Crippen

A combination of many things—in no particular order.

·Although we moved to the Dallas area in the late 80s, we only returned a couple of years ago after an extended absence. None of our family lives here and all of our friends are reasonably mobile.
    ·Our son lives in Los Angeles and has not lived in the Dallas area since graduating from high school.
    ·None of our parents are living. My wife has a brother living in Ann Arbor. My sister died a few months ago. Out of all of our aunts and uncles, only two are left alive—one in the East and one on the West Coast. Their children (our cousins) live everywhere from Seattle to Florida All of this means that we have no central, family base and no particular reason to remain in Dallas.
    ·Neither one of us is yet eligible for Medicare. At your age, this likely won’t mean very much, but should you not be aware, now that we will no longer have corporate medical insurance, paying for private health insurance is very expensive. Private health insurance in Mexico is very much less expensive—and the health care system is quite good.
    ·We have both worked and lived extensively outside of the States. Including places where English was not the only, first, or even widely spoken language. And also in countries where the infrastructure is very much less advanced than Mexico. We are well past the, ‘this is not like the States’ view of the world. Pretty much we know what it is like to live in another country and another culture for extended periods of time.
    ·Additionally I lived and worked on and off in Venezuela, Argentina and a bit in Brazil over the last 15 years. All up, I probably spent over two years in South America. Now for sure Mexico in none of those countries, but I do have a modest bit of experience in living in Latin America.
    ·Mexico is close to the States. We will live less than 30 minutes from the Guadalajara international airport and that is only a couple of hours flight from LA. Basically this puts us a bit closer to LA than we are now (we live about 30 minutes from DFW, though we are very close to Love Field). And we are close enough to drive to the States should the occasion arise.
    ·We will live only about 45 minutes from Mexico’s second largest city. Pretty much every kind of cultural activity that you can imagine is available there. Also shopping when the need arises.
    ·But we will be living in a small town (pop. 15,000 or so). Ajijic is on the shores of Lake Chapala and while it has a large expatriate community (both Americans and Canadians) it is also the kind of place where there are horses outside the internet café on the town plaza. Ajijic has a fair number of good restaurants and such, though things tend to close up a bit early.
    ·The altitude is bit over 5,000 feet. Pretty much a perfect climate. Never too hot, never too cold.
    ·We should be able to get DSL to the new house. I’m also buying one of the new iMacs, so there will be plenty of time for the HTF—though I expect to be inactive for a bit as we get things set up. OTOH, I can always use one of the internet cafes in town.
    ·There is even a restaurant in town (El Serape that servers pretty good Tex-Mex food. They advertise that the serve the food of the American Southwest and northern Mexico.
    ·I’ve already met the chef of what is no doubt the best restaurant in town and had some good conservations with him (Pedro is from Canada, trained in Bangkok and cooks how he feels).

There is probably more, but this should do for a start.

7. Lew Crippen

Thanks for the kind words, Zen. Ajijic is on the large lake (Chapala) south of Guadalajara--it is on the north shore of the lake towards the west.

The State is Jalisco. If you click on Ajijic on the side of the map (or scroll over to the Ajijic village street map, you can find a section named Lomas de Ajijic. Just to the left is a street going to the west named Galeana. We will be living on the north side of that street, close where the street turns south.

What this means, as there is a mountain (or large hill) behind the house is that we are elevated enough to have a view of the lake and the mountains on the other side of the lake from the street, out front terrace (one story above the street, our pool (a bit higher than the house) and the casaita behind and above the pool (think of this as a guest bedroom.

I’ll rummage though some real estate pages and see if I can approximate our view.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

A significant one in my book, as your contributions to indie threads will be missed.

Good luck buddy.

--
    H

9. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Thanks for the taking the time to explain, Lew. It makes perfect sense to me. Plus, the place where you will be living sounds very nice indeed.

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

>my survival Esapñol is not nearly good enough to read subtitles.

I'm sure you'll pick up a lot after living there a while. It's not a hard language to learn. I'm curious how many of the locals speak English in your new town.

Will you be able to rent movies where you're living? Is there a Mexican version of Netflix? That would be perfect for you.

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Lew, I Googled, looks gorgeous man. I totally dig Mexico

Awesome man, you should have plenty to talk about after you get settled in. Looking forward to that.

All the Best,
    Z-

12. Lew Crippen

EDIT—somehow I did not get all of this post included.

There is no Netfilx as far as I can tell. I’m pretty sure that the postal system would not support that service. It is possible to get a ‘mailbox’ with a North American address. The service then sends the mail directly to your mailbox in Mexico. I don’t know about the turnaround time though. I’ll just have to check it out.

There are plenty of places to rent movies. Nothing nearly as complete as my beloved Premiere Video on Mockingbird Lane here in Dallas, which has about every obscure and mainstream movie imaginable (well, close to it anyway).

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    How's the cycling there?

Looks like Landis lost the Maglia d' Oro today at the Vuelta, Heras took like 3'15" or something on his lead. Damm OLN isn't airing the vuelta this year

Enjoy and have an uneventful move! If I ever cycle down to Mexico, I'll have to look you up!

[​IMG]
    Jay

14. Lew Crippen

There is a flat path along the main highway on the north side of the lake. Not much of a challenge (actually no challenge at all), but then my days of going straight up are over.

I (just as you do) used to commute to work every day on my bike. And thought nothing of a 50–100 mile ride on a Saturday or Sunday. I’m more in the 25–50 mile class now (and easy at that).

Thanks for the kind thought and you will be most welcome.

BTW, check out my LA post, if you have not read the news.

15. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Once again, good luck Lew...I'm sure we'll see each other in the Regional DVD area in the future, Region 4 here we come.

If you're interested, I found a bunch of info online about using DirecTV in the Chapala area...not sure if you're trying to take the whole HT down with you or not.

16. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

All the best, L: buon viaggio, mio fratello...

If I travel to Mexico for business--more likely than for pleasure these days--you'll have to find me a great place to go running. Of course, I know you'll have the food situation well-covered. [​IMG]

Will you be involved in agave farming? Doubtless, you have considered the options for beverages, including fermented ones, in your new locale.

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats on everything lew!

it sounds like all your ducks are in a row...that's for sure.

even though there's no art-house theaters, this will just give you an excuse to buy those movies instead ... and invest in a new ht. (i'm sure the missus will go for that!)

enjoy your retirement bud!

18. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Congrats on the change Lew! My wife and I have contemplated a similar move south of the border more sooner in our lives than later. Be sure to keep in touch.

19. Lew Crippen

Thanks Kevin. My view of life is that it is never too late to change your life—and never too early either.

20. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Hey Lew, that Italian of yours ain't half bad!

Although not headed into retirement, we are also in the process of relocating from the Empire State. More to come, probably as the subject of my 4000th post.

[​IMG]