Time Flies: Apple event confirmed for 9/15

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgrade to iOS 14 and iPadOS 14? Or wait for the 14.0.X or even 14.1 updates? I've not been following it closely, is it solid or iOS13 buggy?

Do we have or need an iOS14 thread?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
iOS 14 releasing tomorrow? Ahead of the new iPhones! What is this madness!?!?
New iOS is always released prior to the hardware. More to the point: the new Apple Watch 6 is out on Friday — it will require iOS 14 to work (including on the iPhone)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Normally it’s very close to iPhones, right? This is like weeks or months ahead. I was surprised.

2020 is a weird year. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Normally it’s very close to iPhones, right? This is like weeks or months ahead. I was surprised.

2020 is a weird year. :)
Yes, clearly the always September new iPhone release has been postponed to (probably) October — but since new Apple Watches and iPad were just released, and require the new software, iOS couldn’t wait for the new iPhone schedule

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has anyone installed iOS 14 on their current device yet?
Not yet. I’m waiting a little bit for iPhone, iPad, watch. Let developers get apps updated, bugs fixed. Maybe until 14.0.1 is out. The lousy iOS 13 experience plus #2020 makes me more cautious.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Has anyone installed iOS 14 on their current device yet?
Yeah, I let my 7 plus update overnight and I updated my series 4 watch today and all four TVs to the current OS’s today. iOS14 works fine. The App Library is as useless as I thought it looked in reviews and I had to disable “Private Address” in my WiFi settings because it causes more problems than it fixes. Overall, a solid update so far.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Updating as we speak, both my iPad and iPhone. AppleTV successfully updated. (Posting from the old iPad that has been running the betas all long )

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know there’s going to be and there is a lot of video reviews of the Apple Watch Series 6 and SE.

I happen to catch this review from CNET and while it’s a very early review, as the reviewer only just got one each the Series 6 and an SE, I found a few of things tested very interesting. She compared the accuracy of the pulse oximeter with a real pulse oximeter she uses. I was very interested in that comparison.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Com'on, Apple! I could use a new ATV4K to help feed my nice, new, fuax-K FP (and soon-to-be completely revamped HT) w/ all these flix I've been (and would continue to be) buying on iTunes! :P

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I canceled my upgrade to Series 6 Watch. After sleeping on it for a few days, it's not worth the expenditure right now. It's only a minor spec bump.

One of the big factors was seeing the comparison (above) to the pulse oximeter and seeing how far it was off.

I'll put some more thought into it. I can always opt to buy it again next month.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I might upgrade to the series 6. I didn’t upgrade to the Series 5 and I’m still using the Series 4. The series 4 is working well still. But I like the updates with always-on and the pulse oximeter. And altitude feature is cool too as I can see using that when I go cycling.

I’ll be curious how the pulse oximeter works out for that CNET reviewer as she seemed to be able to get an accurate reading when she adjusted the fit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll say this: the $200 Watch S3 as a fitness tracker is a great deal! I have come to *love* my S3 for fitness, especially during the Pandemic. If I were buying new, I'd probably get the SE model for the bigger screen, bigger battery, faster performance (but less money than the S6). But to enjoy the watch for fitness, my three year old, hand me down, not gently used S3 is aces.

Strong App to help track and motivate workouts in the park

Apple Workout on Watch to track walks and then jogs

Apple Activity app to see summary of workouts (and weekends when I wear the watch all day)

LoseIt app on iPhone and iPad to avoid gaining the Covid 19 (pounds) :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els