Time Flies: Apple event confirmed for 9/15

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Figured out why I could not watch it on my giant screen with Apple TV at WWDC in June.

For some reason, I have to reboot my Apple TV device when Apple switches over from the looped "starting at" to the actual event.

Something triggers the connection in my Apple TV 4k device and it has to be rebooted to renegotiate the connection.

Watching it now, but not without having to deal with two reboots.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now I remember why it takes two hours to announce two major products: all the self-promoting personal stories

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
To be completely accurate, it would be emulated AND virtualized in that scenario. It's also possible that Parallels could emulate the x86 hardware layer and allow x86 Windows installs, but yeah, that performance thing is huge.

I'm wondering if, in the short-term, we'll see Apple use ARM CPUs in the MacBook/MacBook Air, and leave the MacBook Pro as an Intel-based machine. I've got to say that in the higher education market, running Windows on a Mac is a pretty huge deal. Losing that functionality would be somewhat apocalyptic.
Don't count on it one bit. Probably take a near miracle me thinks.

Even if you get ARM-based Windows on there, what Windoze apps are you gonna run inside that? They'd need to also be ARM-based apps, not Wintel ones.

Basically, you need essentially perfect Wintel emulation for it to be all that useful for most people who want it. Otherwise, better off just migrating to Apple/ARM-native apps instead.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No go on Apple One. Not the right combination of the services I want (Apple News+ only on higher tier)

Fitness service really great but won't hurt Peloton.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I bought the watch. There's no significant upgrade here other than blood oxygen meter and brighter "always on" display outdoors.

No mention of battery life being longer other than iMore website saying "The Apple Watch Series 6 comes with a new S6 processor built to make the Apple Watch run better and for longer before the battery runs down."

However, trading in my previous year's watch every year keeps the price just under $550 (with tax) for the stainless steel with cellular/GPS.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I feel cheated by this event. One hour in length. Okay, I understand them not announcing ARM laptops. However, at the very least, after yesterday's leak, they could have announced AIR TAGS, a product they have sitting on for a year already.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Don't count on it one bit. Probably take a near miracle me thinks.

Even if you get ARM-based Windows on there, what Windoze apps are you gonna run inside that? They'd need to also be ARM-based apps, not Wintel ones.

Basically, you need essentially perfect Wintel emulation for it to be all that useful for most people who want it. Otherwise, better off just migrating to Apple/ARM-native apps instead.

_Man_
You don't necessarily need to port apps to run under Windows 10 on ARM. It runs native Windows apps in a 32-bit Windows emulator, which is it's big restriction - it doesn't support 64-bit Windows apps:

As for Apple/ARM native apps, there is plenty of specialty Windows software that has no macOS equivalent. SAS is a good example. So, losing X86/x64 capability on the Mac would be a huge deal for a certain segment of Apple's customer base.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
No mention of battery life being longer other than iMore website saying "The Apple Watch Series 6 comes with a new S6 processor built to make the Apple Watch run better and for longer before the battery runs down."
I’ll wait for reviews on the battery. My wife’s Apple Watch 3 seems to have a VASTLY longer lasting battery than my Apple Watch 5 — that is my one and only pet peeve about it.

Yes, a brighter display as well as an oximeter are very good feature, but can’t by themselves excuse an upgrade. A much, much longer battery life would.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just watched the video, having not been online today and seen nothing about it :)

Apple Watch SE is of interest to me. VO2 would be cool to have, since I'm getting more into exercise and jogging with my Watch. But the SE is a better fit in cost and practical compromise if I were buying new for myself. No rush, my S3 (and with cellular on) does the job.

Once again the base iPad is a killer deal. It has to be the single-best value in personal computing!

And after dimissing the iPad Air as the neglected middle child, it's now of real interest to me! Small-bezel screen, landscape stereo speakers, A14(!!!), and TouchID power button. And as I use my iPad in bed and all the reports are that the iPad Pro with FaceID is not good when you're laying on your side, TouchID is a selling point. And for how I hold my ipad at night, the power button seems like a more convenient location. Yeah, the iPad Air might be my Christmas present. :D

Ok...what's going on with the iPad Pro? "Upgraded" six months ago to get the processor in the $329 iPad, completely out-performanced by the iPad Air, and with a LIDAR that has not purpose in life. When the ipad Air came out with the A14, I thought for sure there was going to be a "one more thing" with a new-new iPad Pro. But nope-nope. Huh. Super weird. Super glad I didn't buy the "new" iPad Pro this Spring.

iOS 14 releasing tomorrow? Ahead of the new iPhones! What is this madness!?!?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple One
The Family plan with music and appleTV and 200GB iCloud for $20/mo might be of interest to me. It's not awesome, but it's not terrible. Basically, is family plan music and appleTV worth an extra $17/mo? Maybe...?

Apple Fitness
I see the appeal. Not something I'll use.
I don't see this harming Peloton as is. If Apple gets into exercise gear like stationary bikes, then Peloton might be in trouble. But that doesn't seem Apple-y to me.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashi123