What's new

Time delay when using Tivo? (1 Viewer)

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
I know this might be better in the PVR section, but there is much more traffic here....

So,here is my question -- is there a time delay when using Tivo? I have my system hooked up as follows: digital cable from wall to cable box; from cable box to Tivo (via R/L ausio and S-video) and then Tivo audio (r/l audio) to recevier and video (s-video) to the tv. However, some of my cable channels are broadcast in digital. Therefore, I have a digital cable fomr the digital out of the cable box to a digital in on my receiver. I tried using it this way the other day and the sound did not match with the video (it was faster). THen, i turned on the same channel on two different tvs (one with Tivo and one without Tivo) and it was clear that the one with the Tivo was a little behind the one without.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix this?

Thanks again,

Allan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, there's a time delay, and there's no way to fix it, because that's how TiVo works. In order to do the tricks it does with live TV (pause, rewind, etc.), TiVo first has to process the signal, and that's what introduces the delay.

M.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael. So, there is no way to take advantage of digital sound (some of my channels are even occasionally broadcast in DD 5.1) if you use a Tivo?

Allan

GordonL

Supporting Actor
there is no way to take advantage of digital sound if you use a Tivo?
There is no way to get digital sound with cable and the stand-alone Tivo. If you want 5.1 digital sound, you'll have to get DirecTV and the DirecTivo box.

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
Another option would be to connect the composite video or RF from you cable box to a second input on your tv. When you want to watch something in DD just switch to that input and bypass the TiVo.

My only question is how you would hear the DD. Does your cable box have an optical ouotput that you have connected to your receiver?

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
My only question is how you would hear the DD. Does your cable box have an optical ouotput that you have

connected to your receiver?
Not sure about his, but my digital cable box has a coax digital output for the occasional 5.1 cable presentation (Band of Brother, for example).

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for responding. Scott, my cable box has a digital coax out which I can hook directly into my receiver. I guess what I might do is have an RCA video cable go into a separate input (in order to get DD 5.1 when available). The only drawback there would be that I would lose the S-video connection. But, if that is the best...

Thanks again,

Allan

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
Several models of Onkyo receivers let you introduce a delay in the audio to compensate the video delay and thus syncronize the two. I know that models 797,898 and 989 will let you do this. I am sure there are others but I do not know off hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks