What's new

Time Delay Question! (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
This message is for GUY or anyone else that knows. I have a pioneer elite 35 reciever and I have the energy take 5 speakers. Now my question is on the reciever should I just plug in the distance from my listneing position from the front and back speakers into the reciever? Also my reciver doesnt have the (ms) just (ft). But someone on here said you can make the time delay tighter or something like that. My current delay is 8 feet for the 2 front speaker 8.5 for the center and 6.5 for the surrounds, can I adjust the delay to make it sound better or just keep it the way it is. Thanks

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Your ears will always be the guideline.
Doing the entries in feet makes it easier for you (the consumer) and the receiver will do the conversion to time values internally.
BTW, the delays are NOT the distances, the delay is the difference between the farthest speaker and an individual speaker.
Take this example from an old layout in my room
Speaker---------Distance-------Delay applied by processor
Left Front______8.5ft__________0 ms
Center Channel__7.5ft__________1 ms
Right Front_____8.5ft__________0 ms
Left Surround___6.5ft__________2 ms
Right Surround__6.5ft__________2 ms
Subwoofer_______5.5ft__________3 ms
The goal here is to introduce delay so that all speakers are effectively equidistant.
These are guidelines, and in the end, do what sounds best to you... For me, I've always found that doing things "by the book" has had the best results in my room.
In you receivers case, you'd fudge the distances, say by setting all speakers to 8.0ft or something like that.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks