What's new

Time Delay for Subs (1 Viewer)

Richard_M

Second Unit
If I had a room with 2X subs located in different locations, i.e 1X at the front and 1X at the back, how critical is the time delay for each sub.

For instance if I got say a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro which has adjustable time delays for each channel and adjusted each sub to as accurate as possible would this give a better in room response or is it better to have each sub adjusted say 1mS apart to help with cancellations etc.

Also will the time delay help with phase issues between each sub and the mains speakers?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Separate delay adjustment should make a measurable difference, as time delay = phase issues.

However, you could minimize this situation (and other response-related problems) by using a single sub location.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks Wayne!

I kinda figured that time delay was related to phase, so I guess this would help in a single sub set up if your sub only had 0/180 phase switch, you could alter the delay to create a smoother response?

Richard

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
if your sub only had 0/180 phase switch, you could alter the delay to create a smoother response?
Yes.

But, I think if you measure your entire frequency response you'll likely find (as I did) that smoothing out or reducing any peak around the crossover will also lower other peaks and dips. So the frequency curve still looks about the same just proportionately lower.

I think this occurs in my situation because of three reasons. 1) The receiver only has a 6db per octave lowering effect, 2) I have speakers capable of bass output lower than 40 Hz. 3) At my listening position the room does more to define my curve than any phase tweaking or crossover setting I can do. Using 1/12 octave test tones, I get about the same graph regardless of the crossover setting I use, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90. Or if I run my speakers set to large the response is the same until 35-40 Hz where they naturally drop-off.

For these reasons I think you will be most satisfied with the results from a parametric eq but it's free to experiment with what you have:).

I don't have one myself but I'm thinkig of either the one you mentioned or the Rane P/E 17. I've seen used Rane's on ebay for ~$200 range. I also am interested in the low cut filtering as I would like to set it for around 17-18 hz to protect the woofer and save amp power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks