TIme Crisis 2 - HDTV compatibility?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave E H, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Ok, so Just got a PS2. So, in order to get the SO involved with my new toy, I want to get a light gun game. She really really likes them (her favorite being the Lupin game in the Japanese arcades.)
    I've been researching this question, and haven't got a definite answer: Will light gun games work my Mitsubishi 55857? It's a HDTV capable RPTV - I currently have it hooked up to the progressive scan inputs.
    I've found that progressive scanning can be a problem and in some cases, not work at all. I've also seen this page at the namco site: http://www.namco.com/support/guncon.html stating that the "user must be at an even level with the TV" for the similar model TV (65857.) Does this mean that it will work with my 55857, but you must be almost straight on with the TV?
    Help? Anyone?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think there have been discussions before about how the GunCon 2 won't work with RPTVs.

3. Dave E H

yes, I've seen those, but I've seen other sporadic discussion on the net that it appears it may work with some RPTVs. The posting on Namco's site leads me to believe it might be possible - w/ varying degrees of success.

Anyone actually tried it?

4. Luke Foust

Luke Foust Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that using the GunCon requires you to output your video from your PS2 through an RCA jack so you can't use your s-video or component video outputs when playing GunCon games. I have two gunCons and this has been my experience. I have yet to find an adapter so that the guns work with other video formats. I am not sure if this matters to you and your setup but I found it to be slightly annoying.

5. Dave E H

Hmm. Does it matter what the output format is, or what the INPUT format is to the TV? Reason is - my Pioneer VSX-49TX can upconvert composite or S-Video to component. Either way, I think the set does line doubling on the input, so I think that really is the heart of the problem.

6. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

well, what if i plug my PS2 via composite inputs into a direct view HDTV?

probably too much trouble for one game, plus i don't think it would work (dreamcast via s-video doesn't work, but i haven't tried composite.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

the big issue is whether or not your TV upconverts internally. Supposedly MadKatz is working on a gun that works with RPTVs

8. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

on the xbox, if House of the Dead 3 is 480p - that means my tv isn't doing any line doubling, right?

9. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

There is an adaptor that lets you hook the Guncon2 up with component video, I believe it is shown on the back of the large Time Crisis 2 box.