What's new

Time Bandits 2-disc SE in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
From Anchor Bay's website:

Doesn't mention if it will contain the Criterion commentary or not.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't mention if it will contain the Criterion commentary or not.
I hope it does. The specs given in that blurb seem rather skimpy for a 2-disc SE. And it's not like it's without precedent; Criterion licensed their Halloween track to AB.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
ANYTHING is better than the piece of $##!&%# 4x3 lbx transfer on both the anchor bay and criterion DVD we have now!!!!

Good news :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
What's up with Criterion licensing out their old commentaries? I thought for sure I'd read somewhere that Criterion simply DOES NOT license out those old commentaries for anything. But the Halloween release (that I didn't buy, I still have that 2 disc limited edition) has a criterion commentary, chances are this might have it--is Criterion hurting for money or something, to the point where they're now selling off their commentaries? On the one hand, I'm happy, because I'd love to get a Raging Bull SE with that Criterion commentary on it, or any number of commentaries that are buried on LD that might not see DVD light of day otherwise, but on the other hand I'm worried that Criterion might be licensing these commentaries out because they're hurting for cash.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've loved this movie ever since I saw it in the theater when it first came out but I'm still not sure I'd want to double dip. I have the Anchor Bay version and I'd have to really see what this 2 discer has(reviews and such) before I get it.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
They've been licensing them lately, in exchange for film release rights for several titles from those particular companies. Atleast that's what happened in the case of the Commentary for the 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' 2-disc set. :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I hope AB has indeed managed to get the track from Criterion. I've held out and haven't bought Criterion's non-anamorphic disc, and this 2-disc SE I'll HAVE to buy, because Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. Need that commentary though!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
But it's not like the Criterion Time Bandits is OOP or anything. The Criterion LD for Halloween was the only place you could find the Carpenter commentary until the recent Anchor Bay "DiviMax" DVD, but you can find Time Bandits rather readily anywhere.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
While I've never seen the film, I am a pretty big fan of Gilliam. Criterion's Brazil is one of the greatest sets ever produced (right up there with LOTR EE). His commentaries are always just as entertaining as his movies. I just picked up the CC version of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and was never a big fan of the film until I heard Gilliam's commentary on it. He has this infectious laugh that always cracks me up. I would pick it up only if it has a commentary.

Shaun

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
He has this infectious laugh that always cracks me up.
Yes, he does. Gilliam has fascinated me for quite some time. On one hand, he's somewhat of an obsessive control freak. (Watch "The Hamster Factor" for evidence.) However, he also has such a lighthearted humerous attitude towards his many misfortunes (see "Lost in La Mancha") that you can't help but admire the guy. He's brilliant.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
piece of $##!&%# 4x3 lbx transfer
i don't think the transfer is to blame, i believe it's the source element. without a full restoration (or a better source), i don't think it would be any better. i'm not refering to any differences btwn lbx and anamorphic, just the crappy source that the current releases use.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

One of the funniest commentaries EVER with Hunter S. Thompson. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too have held out long enough because I couldn't justify getting a non-anamorphic version of Time Bandits for 70 Bucks CAD. CANT WAIT!
Hopefully Anchor Bay won’t mess this one up!

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Anchor Bay UK released it with the criterion commentary, 16x9 transfer and some additional extras. Hopefully the new 2 disk set will have all that plus the new doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks