What's new

Time after Time ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know why this hasn't been released on dvd? Great movie starring Malcolm Mcdowell and David Warner.

You would think whatever studio owned the rights would want to ride the coat tails of the upcoming Time Machine release in theaters.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd love to have this on DVD as well. It's Warner Bros and as they've issued loads of '70s material you would have thought this would be out by now. Great Miklos Rozsa score as well.

Christian R

Agent
Actually this is an Orion/Warner Film. I think the rights are with Warner, but perhaps it's in limbo due to the Orion/MGM connection? I don't remember where, but I heard on some forum that it'll be a rrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly loooooooong wait before this will ever see the light of day. Don't know why either...I loved this film (guess I'll have to hang onto my widescreen laser until then...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I remember catching this film on pay cable
years ago. It was so good and really creeped me out.
The whole thing about Jack the Ripper saying
(about the 80s), "This is my time!"
I am not usually a big fan of thrillers, at least
not in a "repeat viewings" sort of way. Well, I
would buy an OAR DVD of Time After Time
in a heartbeat.
Aside from The Time Machine,
From Hell is being released on DVD
in the near future too by Fox. So, while Warners
couldn't exactly do a "tie in," they would have
the interest in Jack the Ripper going on.
Kind of like Paramount sitting on
Dragon Slayer
while Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings
are all the rage. ;)
Mark

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
When Warner finally gets around to TIME AFTER TIME, I hope they completely remaster and remix the sound- the Laserdisc sounded like it was recorded at the bottom of a well. Besides, Miklos Rozsa's terrific score really would benefit from the remix.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I had intended to ask about this title during the last HTF/WB chat. I didn't get a chance to ask ANY question, and noone else asked about this one.

It's one of my favorite titles and I sure hope Warner gets around to it sooner rather than later. There is a perfect opportunity to cash in on this title with the remake of The Time Machine hitting theaters sooner and home video later. Also, stuff from the '80's is hot right now; no telling how long that will last.

I'd buy it street date, even in a bare-bones edition, as long as it was OAR. I'd like the main trailer, too...as I recall it was pretty captivating, making it a film you would really want to see.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I love Time After Time - would definitely get the OAR DVD.
David Warner is the finest actor in the world, IMHO. I recently saw him on stage in "The Feast of Snails" (Lyric Theatre, London West End), and he was absolutely fantastic. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
One of my all time favorite films! I'd buy a bare-bones edition if it was OAR, but I'd prefer a SE with commentary by Nicholas Meyer. It was his first film, and you know he'd have some interesting things to say.
I remember hearing him speak once, and he mentioned that the scene in Star Trek IV where Kirk sells his glasses to an antique dealer was originally a scene he wrote for Time After Time. Stuff like that I find really interesting...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the list of folks that was hoping this would get a timely release with the new movie. This has always been one of my favorites, and I have to settle for a VHS copy I made off of a WS laserdisc rental!

-Ric

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Probably with WB since they seem to control all the Orion films released through WB. (Amadeus and Arthur to name a few).

I'd definately like to see a DVD of this film. It has plenty of great performances and a great script.

Perhaps a Meyer commentary? (And of course, the obligatory 1.78:1 (or is it 2.35:1?) anamorphic transfer.)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
dvdfile.com has the details... looks like it's coming Aug 6th with an anamorphic transfer and a commentary track. Nice.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the few movies that I'd recommend to sci-fi fans 'sight unseen'. I just saw it on cable recently (now I wish I hadn't), but I cannot wait to own this one!
According to DVD File, here are the specs:
Good job, Mr. Warner! :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm also a fan of this Nicholas Meyer film and am thrilled that it's finally getting a DVD release. And Rozsa's score, even if it lacks the luster of his earlier efforts, is still sublime (I just popped the CD into my player).

As others have said, with From Hell and The Time Machine, the time is now! Thank you, Warner!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks