What's new

Time After Time ABC Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
i didn't see any threads in this new series. I've always liked HG Wells The Time Machine and the 1979 film Time After Time, so I was curious to check this new series out.

I meant to watch the new blu ray of the 1979 film prior to ty new show but didn't get to it. I'd seen the film before so I know the story. But it's been a while since.

I thought the cast of this new series was working well together and the pilot set up the premise nicely. It was well paced and I enjoyed it. The second episode airing right after was carrying on good momentum I thought with the introduction of the Welles descendant.

I thought it was an interesting motive they create where the history of Jack the Ripper is reviewed to John Stevenson from a google search and it sets him off.

I think the only weakness was how easily John Stevenson was able to adapt to the technology of the time. But I can see this as the character being quite shrewd and intelligent. Plus they need to keep the story moving, can't stop and explain everything! :)

The chemistry between Welles and Jane works well so far. We'll see how long this lasts. I thought ABC's series Forever was a well done series that was cancelled too early. This show is carrying on the similar kind of vibe.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's mediocre through and through. I think they're setting up an interesting time travel premise for the future (either that or they have glaring continuity errors no one noticed), but a lot of the pilot was inane and overlong. It was also a strange mix of bland family fare co-starring a serial killer. It's weird. Who is this show for?

It's also funny that I had just told my wife about the theory that "Jack the Ripper" was created out of whole cloth to sell newspapers, which, if true (which it probably is) invalidates the entire premise of the series.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...the-Ripper-was-several-different-killers.html

Stan

Senior HTF Member
i didn't see any threads in this new series. I've always liked HG Wells The Time Machine and the 1979 film Time After Time, so I was curious to check this new series out.

I meant to watch the new blu ray of the 1979 film prior to ty new show but didn't get to it. I'd seen the film before so I know the story. But it's been a while since.

I thought the cast of this new series was working well together and the pilot set up the premise nicely. It was well paced and I enjoyed it. The second episode airing right after was carrying on good momentum I thought with the introduction of the Welles descendant.

I thought it was an interesting motive they create where the history of Jack the Ripper is reviewed to John Stevenson from a google search and it sets him off.

I think the only weakness was how easily John Stevenson was able to adapt to the technology of the time. But I can see this as the character being quite shrewd and intelligent. Plus they need to keep the story moving, can't stop and explain everything! :)

The chemistry between Welles and Jane works well so far. We'll see how long this lasts. I thought ABC's series Forever was a well done series that was cancelled too early. This show is carrying on the similar kind of vibe.

Looking forward to this. Still on the DVR. I tend to be a bit behind, just now finishing up the last episode of "Shooter". And I finally saw Titanic :D Wow, totally unexpected ending to that film, the ship actually sank.

Spoilers have never bothered me. If it's something I'm really interested in I'll avoid things, but the previews gave away a lot of this show before it was broadcast.

Really liked "Forever" but apparently we were the minority and it didn't survive. Maybe this one will hang on for a few seasons.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One and done for me. It started out promisingly, but just sort of spun its wheels once it got to the present day. And the assistant curator character just wasn't very well written.

There was one standout scene to me, though: H.G. Wells, in 1893, has spoke of all of the social progress we'll have made within five generations. And then he's sitting at the hotel bar, watching the news, witnessing all of the calamities going on around the world, and you just see the tears running down his face. That was beautifully done.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well thank you Adam, totally ruined it for me. :cool:

Just kidding. I'll catch up, maybe like it, maybe not. I'm very careful with spoiler info and avoid it if it's a show I'm really looking forward to, but with this one, don't mind Have a feeling it may be like "Limitless", possibly very well done but zapped for poor ratings.

Anybody watching "Top Chef"? I changed my satellite package last week. Big money saver but lost Bravo, just before the last episode. Life will go on, maybe I can find it online somewhere, just curious who won.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It was OK, but I don't know how they can maintain this over the course of what could be several seasons. From the previews of the next episodes, it looks like they're going the route of Timeless and having Wells & Jack hopscotching through time and interacting with well-known historical events.

I know it would have brought the show to a quick end, but they kind of lost me when Jane had bonked Jack with the bowl, rendering him unconscious, and didn't end him right there, or even make any attempt to disable or restrain him. They keep saying, "we have to stop him, we have to stop him," but Jane had the ideal opportunity to stop him and she didn't have the stones to follow through. Characters doing stupid, nonsensical things turn me off a show/film quicker than anything. Instead they keep letting him escape to kill again.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm just not as critical as you guys. I was just going with it. Though I'd agree that after Jane hit John over the head, she could have done more like tie him up at least. But given the situation of the girl panicking, I'd want to get the heck out of there too. :)

I've never seen Timeless. Sounds like Quantum Leap. I missed the previews for next week. I had the impression the show would stay in New York in the present.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn't enjoy the serial-killer storyline; that's not an emotionally sound basis for a series for me. So, I'm out after watching the two-hour premiere.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess I'm just not as critical as you guys. I was just going with it. Though I'd agree that after Jane hit John over the head, she could have done more like tie him up at least. But given the situation of the girl panicking, I'd want to get the heck out of there too. :)

I've never seen Timeless. Sounds like Quantum Leap. I missed the previews for next week. I had the impression the show would stay in New York in the present.
Timeless is great. And it's basically the inverse of Quantum Leap.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've just watched the first episode. From the opening street view, I thought this is going to be good, and it was. Till about the time that
Jane believed that he really was Wells and had a real time machine.
From then on, it seemed average to me. Will try it out again.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read a review of the show's pilot and the reviewer mentions that the creator of this series is known for his shows making intelligent commentaries about our world and society. He felt there was none of that in this new series. Though the bits that were biting were lifted from the film. I don't know his other work, so that's lost to me. I'm still intrigued enough to watch a few more installments. Those aspects could start to emerge.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kevin Williamson is show creator so that seems good to me.

I liked it.
I still don't like that the machine is in the museum and that's where they appear when they go to 2017 for 1853 or whenever they came from.

Pilot and 2nd ep went quick for me so when the 2 hours were up i was surprised.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still not clear on the physics of the machine. When Jack first left, the machine actually disappeared from the basement in London and then later reappeared with a huge WHOOSH, knocking Wells off his feet.

Then, when Wells then followed Jack, he just emerged in the museum from a static historical relic. There was no commotion for the machine's "arrival". Promos for future episodes have shown the machine actually coming and going, so I'm not sure the producers understand the dynamics of it either.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I saw part of the Pilot, and did not seem interesting enough to keep my attention. Maybe I will give it a full watch if time permits. At least this show actually went to the future (in a different way), where most other time traveling shows just stick to going to the past. And I would have thought Stevenson was the author, not the serial killer.

If it follows the same format as Timeless, then I will pass. I thought Timeless was okay, but neither of these shows are as good as 12 Monkeys.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Malcom. It did exactly the same thing in the movie.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it follows the same format as Timeless, then I will pass. I thought Timeless was okay, but neither of these shows are as good as 12 Monkeys.
12 Monkeys the tv series, it's good? I've missed it so far and wondered if it's worth finding and watching (maybe buying on blu to catch up)?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I saw part of the Pilot, and did not seem interesting enough to keep my attention. Maybe I will give it a full watch if time permits. At least this show actually went to the future (in a different way), where most other time traveling shows just stick to going to the past. And I would have thought Stevenson was the author, not the serial killer.

Got through season 1 and then season 2 was so squirrely that I dropped it. Maybe this show will do better with shows adhering to his books...maybe!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
12 Monkeys the tv series, it's good? I've missed it so far and wondered if it's worth finding and watching (maybe buying on blu to catch up)?

I think it is worth a watch, but I will say, there is not nearly as much of a variety of time periods they visit, as the other shows. Basically, visiting only 2 time periods for the most part in the 1st season, as it does follow the 1995 film loosely, with the purpose of trying to prevent the apocalypse from happening. I do find myself liking the characters more in this show than in Timeless.

I would rent or borrow from the library, to watch the first few episodes to see if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks