What's new

Timbre matching? (1 Viewer)

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Never really heard of it before, but I've seen it posted a few times while browsing.
So here in lies my question...
Just bought a pair of boston acoustics a360s. I read that the center (a225c) isn't as clear as it should be. Should I just buy 3 A25s instead? and would I lay the A25 in the middle on its side?
Also... would you guys prefer a Denon avr4310 at 400+shipping or a denon3312 at 600?
Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 4310 is in a different league, much like the 4810. But...is it otherwise modern enough for you?
I see nothing wrong laying a speaker on its side. Others will disagree...

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
honestly i wouldn't know what was modern and what isnt... I've been watching movies on just a tv for years and listening to music on an old sony d595 or whatever model it is with my infinities.
So the BA's and any receiver would be a step up, I also plan on buying a projector when I move out of my current place.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm a little confused. Timbre matching has to do with the tonal quality of the speakers if they dont match then it can sound funky (not the good kind of funk) when sounds or voices pan across the screen.
Your concern is over the quality of the a225c and its clarity?
so would you replace the 360s with the a25s? then lay the third on its side as a center...
If anything you are going to want to use a26s as they will be closer in performance to the 360s but not very close... I would get the center and see for yourself (most audio stores both online and B&M have good return policies on speakers) all else fails get one a26 and lay it on its side. but keep the 360s

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
what he means by modern enough is: does it have the internet streaming features that you could be looking for. Such as pandora Sirius XM but it looks like the 4310 has all that. My rule of thumb is it is better to go up a model line and back in time. for example I would rather have a 2005 S Class mercedes than a 2012 c class. In that example the money might not make sense but in your case it sure does.
Translation the 4310 will sound better but may not have some of the bleeding edge technology...

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
NickSI said:
I guess I'm a little confused. Timbre matching has to do with the tonal quality of the speakers if they dont match then it can sound funky (not the good kind of funk) when sounds or voices pan across the screen.
Your concern is over the quality of the a225c and its clarity?
so would you replace the 360s with the a25s? then lay the third on its side as a center...
If anything you are going to want to use a26s as they will be closer in performance to the 360s but not very close... I would get the center and see for yourself (most audio stores both online and B&M have good return policies on speakers) all else fails get one a26 and lay it on its side. but keep the 360s
Oh I'm sorry, I had meant to say if anyone had used a A25 as the center. I was asking about the 25's and not the 26's because they don't seem to have the 26s on accessories 4 less they're on amazon ($200ea) vs $75 ea for the A25 and $99 for the a225.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anytime you read a review on a center speaker that uses the exact same tweeter and woofer as a bookshelf...yet...
"The center isn't clear"...
The reviewer is probably an idiot and has the set-up in the receiver wrong.
Other than the "sonic issues inherent with MTM", the 225 sounds exactly like the 25.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Noted.
Well I should have a pretty bad ass set up here pretty soon.
What I've got so far.
(2) BA A360 - $300
(2) BA A25 - $160
BA A225C - $99
FI Q 18 - $265
Denon 4310- $455
I guess all I need now is a EP2500/4000 and to make the box for the sub.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
NickSI said:
did you grab the damaged white one? I almost bit on that...
Yeah I did... $300 for a pair when they were orig like $800 ea
My orig budget was wanting to be in the 1k range, but after I buy the EP4000 I'll be at a total of $1500 for everything including a denon 4310 receiver. Not too bad and i'm sure this set up is multiple times better than what I would have gotten at 1k

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Add $10 to the EP-4000 budget for a quiet fan unless you are putting the amp in another room. It's like a small plane taking off. I installed one from Digi-Key and reversed the flow (pulls air from the front and expels it from the rear). I can't hear it from my seat and it still doesn't get warm even during the most extreme demo sessions. Last year I showed off so much that my projector needed to be re-aligned but the amp never got hot.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Robert_J said:
Add $10 to the EP-4000 budget for a quiet fan unless you are putting the amp in another room. It's like a small plane taking off. I installed one from Digi-Key and reversed the flow (pulls air from the front and expels it from the rear). I can't hear it from my seat and it still doesn't get warm even during the most extreme demo sessions. Last year I showed off so much that my projector needed to be re-aligned but the amp never got hot.
Nice, well I'm about to buy a new 4000 off of ebay for 302 to the door. If you know a cheaper place to get one please let me know soon. :D

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
schan1269 said:
Anytime you read a review on a center speaker that uses the exact same tweeter and woofer as a bookshelf...yet...
"The center isn't clear"...
The reviewer is probably an idiot and has the set-up in the receiver wrong.
Other than the "sonic issues inherent with MTM", the 225 sounds exactly like the 25.
Can you clarify what mistake they could have made to produce a poor sounding center?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's what we were paying for the older model 4 years ago. If I had the extra cash, I'd try to snipe your bid.:D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Almost everybody that has "my center sucks" problems(where it isn't some weenie excuse)...
Have no idea how to set their crossover...
Have no idea what large/small(on the AVR where this is applicable) means...
Haven't set the BD player or OTA device for 5.1...
I've never seen a situation(other than where the center actually had a problem...driver or something) where I couldn't fix their center issue...
Just by doing proper set-up.

mulalleybs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Robert_J said:
That's what we were paying for the older model 4 years ago. If I had the extra cash, I'd try to snipe your bid.:D
Its actually a buy it now price. Brand new too. I think there's 8 left. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks