What's new

Timbre Matching (1 Viewer)

RogerA

Grip
I didn't realize how important timbre matching was until I bought a new center speaker to match my main's. I have JBL ND 310's for my mains and was using a AR2C for my center thinking that a more expensive speaker is better. It never sounded quite right though, and I couldn't figure out why. So I bought a bigger and badder receiver to give it more power, but that just accentuated the difference between the speakers.

So, recently I found this forum and it was suggested that I try timbre matching, getting the matching center speaker. Reluctantly I bought the N Center ll which is the same series as the ND 310's and lo and behold my HT sounds great. So how can a $84.00 speaker (N Center ll) sound better than a $500.00 speaker (AR2C). I don't know but in my system it does. Now my speakers are

Mains - JBL ND 310
Center - N Center ll
Surrounds - JBL N24
Subs - (2) JBL PB12

Now I have a perfectly good AR2C that needs a good home. I would consider a trade for two JBL N Center ll speakers or a couple hundred dollars if anyone is interested.

Shawn N

Agent
I know timber matching is very important between center, and both fronts. How important is it with rear? I mean wouldn't just a "like" speaker work fine being that you just hear effects through them?

Cagri

Second Unit
I have been using a pair of wharfedale modus cubes for my rears. These cubes were very cheap, 75W power handling, one way speakers. They aren't even considered as real speakers by many people. I have been very happy with them though since I only use them for movies, no multi channel music listening. Yesterday I bought a pair of mission m71i s for my sister and wanted to try them to see if I would hear a significant improvement in the rear. They are highly praised cheap bookshelves and sound very sweet. I hooked them and watched several effect heavy scenes from Daredevil and AOTC...

Well, to be honest there's no timber likeniness with my mains and the wharfedales let alone "matching". I can't say the missions are timber matched, but still, they are better speakers and not very different sound with my Kef fronts. I haven't detected any big improvement in the sound. Only difference was when there's an explosion coming from the rears where the Missions are better responders in the lower frequencies. Other than that I haven't found any difference to justify a purchase of bigger speakers to replace my small wharfedales which can easily be hidden behind a small picture frame :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
This "timber" matching thing - does this mean you have to use the same type of wood in all your speakers? Wait, oh . . . you mean "timbre" . . . Nevermind:D .

george_k

Agent
Well my front 3 speakers are all made by athena (2x S1 and 1x AS-C1). When it came to picking rears, the AS-B1's were just too big in side to mount on the wall (limited space in my appt).

I bought a pair of overpriced paradigm micro's because they were the only speakers available at the time that fit dimentionally...funny enough at least in my opinion they match well with the front speakers...maybe it's cause they're both canadian =)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks