What's new

Timbre-matching (1 Viewer)

To tell you the truth, I have no idea if this is something to consider or not so I was hoping you guys could help. I am no audiophile, but I do want to have a good set of speakers that will last and do a good job. Is Timbre-matching important and can I accomplish this between two different lines from the same company?

I was looking at several products, and I liked many of them, including B&W and KEF. But Paradigm did the job and seemed to show better value for the money. My concern is whether I can mix product lines. For example, the setup I am looking at is:

Fronts: Mini Monitor
Centre: cc 170, 270 or 370
Sorrounds: Titans
Sub: Velodyne (I am pretty happy with this sub so I won't be changing)

What do you think of this setup? Can I mix the Monitor line with the Performance line from Paradigm? Should I go with smaller sorrounds? And does anyone have any throughts about the speaker channel.

(Boy, I sound like a kid who asks too many questions...any help is appreciated.)

Thanks, Chris

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Fronts and center speaker are most important when it comes to timbre matching because these channels get most of the signal. I think the setup you're looking at looks good, you could save a little by going with the Atoms instead of the Titans, don't worry about matching the sub because it's just for low frequencies. I use two different product lines in my system (B&W CDM & 600 Series) and couldn't be happier.
Good Luck.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... can I accomplish this between two different lines from the same company?

My concern is whether I can mix product lines.
If your not very critical with the high frequencies sounds & surround effects, then you can probably mix two different lines from the same company. You wouldn't be the first to do that.

I personally don't recommend it since timbre-matched HT Speaker Series / Lines, have the same identical tweeter in size / material and based on Dolby Labs recommendations above.

Those that have experienced HT setups with @ least identical speakers for the Fronts/Side/REAR Surrounds channels (w/timbre-matching Centers), have never regretted the choice, especially when they finally hear & experience what was precisely encoded by the Mixing DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 Sound Engineer.

The path(s), some straight, some in a half or full circle panning effects, going right, moving left, panning across the room, flying overhead - originating from the front or rear locations and visa-versa, ... can be visually followed, matching the direct action(s) on the screen with Identical Speakers around you.

Food for thought,
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have Monitor 5s + CC370 up front, with Titans as rears. I can hear the difference between the Titans and the others, but it does not play such a large role between surrounds and mains, even when I am listening to SACDs. The front stage is much more important to match, which means you will need to stick with the 370 as your center if you want to have Monitor mains.

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the above post. The front L & R should be timbre matched with the center. The rear speakers are not as essential. I also hae a Velodyne sub with my Paradigm speakers and it sounds awesome. I think you've chosen a pretty good setup, I did something similar.

Just make sure the front sound stage is matched and you'll be fine.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
Just had some Ellis 1801's hooked up in place of my studio 80's. They were matched up with a studio cc and I honestly couldn't tell a difference. Please don't flame me! Maybe I wasn't listening for it, but it definitely didn't pop up as a concern. Actually preferred the 1801's over the 80's, especially during soundtrack music playing. I'm all for timbre matching and the theory behind it, however after actually doing a test between different and similar speakers paired up to a center, I'm going to believe my ears over theory. Then again, maybe it differs from speaker to speaker. For the dude who asked it, don't always believe everything you hear around hear. Sometimes you need to try things on your own. Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have actually tried the CC170, 270, and 370 in my system, and I could hear the difference between them without question. I have a CC170 laying around, and I returned the 270 after trying out the 370, because the difference was obvious to me. With the mismatch, I could "hear" the center, even after a moderate break-in period and calibration. Once I switched to a matched center, the center almost disappeared; the front stage has a seamless balance to it. This is only my opinion though.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I struggled for years with this issue. I originally had Infinity RS4's for mains and an Infinity CC2 for a center. The front sound stage just never sounded right to me. Despite calibration and endless playing with speaker placement. So I moved to Infinity Overture 2 speakers as mains. The front soundstage was even worse. So I upgraded to an Infinity HPS center channel. Much better, but just not right. I am now two sets of mains and two center channels and over a year into this and despite the fact that I used speakers from the same manufacturer, there was just something missing, especially in the center imaging. So I upgraded again, to an Axiom VP-150 for a center. This was a monster center channel with 5 speakers and it was a fabulous center channel speaker. But it did not match the mains. Now I am two sets of mains and three center channel speakers into this. I then removed the center channel and used phantom mode. Many, many, audiophiles believe that (sweet spot concerns aside) the center will never match and that a good, no a great pair of mains are all you really need. Well, as I sprung about $3,000 for the Infinity Overture 2's, I figured they were good enough to cover. Problem was that there was always a "hollow" sound to dialog in the center now. Further investigation showed that many people going with a phantom center had this same issue. Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased three new speakers, three EXACT same speakers (Dunlavy) for the front. I positioned them the same (all vertical), I used a laser to aim each tweeter so that it hit my ears in the seated position where I sit, and I must say that the difference in sound and imaging has been nothing short of phenominal. Long story to say...don't make a mistake and settle for what you think may work. Whatever speakers you use, do yourself a favor and buy the exact same speakers for the front, just as THX suggests. In the long run, you will be happier,and probably save a bunch of money. But this is just my opinion!!;)

Thanks guys. Lots of things to consider, but at least I am heading in the right direction.

Chris

P.S. The first movie I will be trying when I have it all setup, (including the new plasma) is Star Trek Nemesis which arrived in the mail last week but I have been holding off until I am totally ready! Yeah baby! I am really looking forward to it.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the above post, calibration, toe-in and the such do play a big role in your imaging and overall listening experience. I DO agree with that: Maybe a bit more fiddling and I'll get it to the level I'm looking for. But, then I'd have to find a new hobby:frowning: It's a never ending battle... or hobby?... or battle? Sometimes I find myself in front of this damn computer instead of enjoying what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks