timbre matching?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 24, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

How important is it for all of your speakers to match? Is it okay if your rear speakers don't match the fronts and center? Also, I am needing to replace my current fronts and center. My budget is $250. Any recommendations? I have looked at the NS-P1II Northridge Series 5-Piece Home Cinema System but the N-centerII looks pretty big. My TV is only 24 inch right now. Would it be okay to sit something this big on top of it?

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Don't really have the speaker recommendations, but others probably will. As far as your question, yes, it is all right to have only the front three timbre matched. I do and it works out fine. Obviously, it would be nice if everything was matched, but that's just not practicable for most people.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

As a matter of economics, use what you can afford. But if you are now, or plan on listening to a lot of multi-channel music, then having timbre matched speakers will be more important.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I definitely recommend the front 3 to be timbre matched as it seems all movies have a front panning scene and this makes for a more believable front stage. If you're strapped for cash buy the best front three you can afford and use your current speaker for rears until money is availible to upgrade later. The Jbl NSP series is maybe the best budget speakers one can buy new (these won't shame themselves against most sats) for under $500 but I would recommend buying a different brand sub instead.