Timbre matching requestion (Polk Audio related

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sam H, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Sam H

Sam H Second Unit

I recently bought a pair of RTi100 Towers.

The CSi40 is the matching center for these towers. However, I have the chance to purchase the older CS400i center for $100 less.

Does the old CS400i match the new RTi line well, and can you tell the difference by ear?

Thanks,
    -S

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I've heard quite a lot of positive things about the CSi40 - not so sure about the CS400i but I think there's a new tweeter in the CSi40. And if it's only $100 - I think it would be worth it to properly timbre match. Now if it were another hundred...

[​IMG]

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

The older 400i uses a tli-laminate dome tweeter while the newer i40 uses a silk/polymer composite dome tweeeter. The i40 will give you a better timbre match with your i100 towers. I agree with Ernest, spend the extra $100 and get something that will give you a smoother soundstage across the front of your system.
    I don't know what $ you've been quoted but www.crutchfield.com has the i40 on sale until June 14th for $359.99 + $10.99 s/h. and they are an authorized Polk dealer.

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I have both the CSi40 and CS400i. There is a noticeable difference in sound between the two. I have the CSi40 up front between two RTi series speakers and the CS400i in the back center position between two RT1000p speakers. The CSi40 is a different shape (significantly wider) than the CS400i with redesigned drivers. By the way, Polk is coming out with an entirely new RT line of speakers later this year. Hence Crutchfield's sale prices on the current line. See Polk's Web site for more information. The CSi40 is a better deal right now than the CS400i and will be moreso later this year.