What's new

Timbre Matching Paradigm Speakers (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I am slowly building a decent HT system at a bduget of around $2000. Last week, a local hi fi store which is a Paradigm dealer had a clearance sale. By the time I got there, the only center channel Paradigm left on sale was the Reference Studio CC, Paradigm's top of the line center. It is $500 MSRP and it was on sale for $375. I was concerned about timbre matching, because due to spouse issues I CANNOT get mains which are not wall mountable for the time being. The smallest Paradigms which match the Studio CC are Studio 20's, bookshelf sized and therefore unacceptable. The largest wall mountable Paradigms are Titans, which do not match the Studio CC. The guy at the stero store said that this would cause a timbre mismatch, but that I wouldn't notice it unless I had a trained ear, because the speakers are the same brand. He also said that getting better center channel outweighs any consideration of timbre mismatch. I picked up the Studio CC based on this advice, but I am still operating with my little JBL's for mains. Will the Titans be OK or should I use every emotional tactic, fair or unfair, to convince my wife to let me get the Studio 20's?

BTW, the Studio CC is incredible, so trading it in for a CC170 isn't an option for me. I doubt you can get a better center south of $1K, certainly not for $375.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I'm upgrading my Energy Take 5 system with Paradigm Studios. My first step was to get 100's as my mains. So my front consists of Paradigm 100, Take 1, Paradigm 100.
OK, stop laughing now! :)
It sounds great as is. I *can* tell the timbre mismatch, but to be honest, I could live with it if I had to. I'm picking up my Studio/CC Saturday, though, 'cause once you notice it...
If you can in any way swing the 20's with the wife, get the 20's!!
Martin.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
The 20's are definately the way to go. Too bad you couldn't spring for the 40's.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Great price! I did not think that Paradigms would go on sale like that.

Only you can tell if you notice a timber match problem but even with an untrained ear my guess is that you should notice the mismatch. If you want to stay with the studio center then you need to sweet talk the wife to let you get the 20's. Good luck.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Get the cc, you cant go wrong. You can always upgrade the titans at later date. Paradigm has a trade up program, if you upgrade within a year of purchase. You may be able to upgrade the titans without a loss. Check into it. Other than that he titans are a great performer.

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

Sent you a private message a couple of days ago, did you receive it?? Also, I own a full Paradigm setup and am not aware of any trade up program, is this just dealer specific??

For Eric,

I am using a pair of Studio 40s for rear speakers and have them mounted to the wall, so the 20s should not be any problem. You just need to make sure the brackets you use can hold the weight.

Nick L

Second Unit
That studio/cc is one sweet speaker! I would feel pretty good getting that kind of deal on it. I would also try my hardest to get the wife to accept the 20's. They too are incredible speakers and I think you would be happier with them longer than you would the Titans. IMO of coarse.

Either way it should sound great!

Nick L

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
M.D. - I did not get your message. I dont believe the trade up product is dealer specific, however, it would not hurt to ask about the program at time of purchase to varify it is offered. B&W also has a similar trade up program.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get the 20's, let the wife deal with it. I didn't ask my S/O (there is no "our" money in our home) when I picked up my new setup. At first, she didn't like the look or placement of the speakers, but NOW, she readily admits that she LIKES the sound quality, and the look doesn't bother her at all.

Titans will not do well mounted to the wall. You will have to plug the ports.

If you have to compromise on speakers, then she has to compromise on something else. There must be a ballance, otherwise it is all "her".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks