Timbre matching older Polk towers - RTA 11t

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jed, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Jed

Jed Extra

My current system went with the sale of my house (Denon AVR3300, Boston 100x (L,C,R) & Boston VRS Pros).

It looks like I will be buying the Denon 3803 or one of the Marantz receivers 7200/8200/8300.

As far as speakers are concerned, I have a bit of a dilemma. In my closet I have my old Polk RTA 11t towers (Circa 1989; 2 - 6.25 drivers, 1 - 1" tweeter and 2 passive 8s. I always enjoyed the sound of those speakers and am contemplating bringing them out of mothballs.

Assuming I use towers in our new house, what are my chances of using these in a home theater setup? The problem I am facing is matching the center and rears.

Any thoughts on this? I was looking at spending no more than $1500 on the speaker setup. Using the Polks will free up money for a better center/rears or perhaps sub (I currently have a powered Sony 12" - bought about 4 years ago after pretty good reviews on this site!)

2. Jed

Jed Extra

I just called Polk regarding the availability of replacement drivers....I am pleasantly surprised as they do carry replacement drivers for my RTA series! $60 a driver - less 20% for club Polk members (free) will enable me to replace the entire complement of drivers for under $300!

I doubth there is any way I can get a pair - or even single - speaker for $300 that will hang with these Polks.

I was also told the RTi series should sound pretty close to the RTAs. Looks like I am on to something here...re-using my old equipment! Kind of glad I hung on to them.

Now I will have to pull my Carver 400t (cube) and 500t out of mothballs as well. That is almost an extra 1000 watts to play with! Perhaps a nice unpowered sub is in order! Nostalgia is kicking in.