What's new

Timbre Matching Front Speakers (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a brand new denon avr 4802 a center channel, and surrounds, but didn't have the immediate funds to get matching mains. I've heard a lot of emphasis placed on matching the timbre of the front 3 speakers, but that will have to wait... in the meantime, my ears find the match acceptable.
I have:
Mains: Canton Ergo 90
Center: B&W CDM CNT
Surrounds: B&W CDM SNT
Rears: B&W DM302
Sub: Advent AV550s
I think the Canton's are great for music... Is it worth the extra 2400 Bux to get a pair of CDM 9NT's just so i can match with the center channel??
In general how big of a deal is it to match the front 3 speakers?
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
It's a big deal as long as you want the sound to stay consistent as it travels along the soundstage, IE: The narrator walks from the left to the right. I don't necessarily believe you have to go with what the manufacturer says, as long as you're happy with what you've got, so be it. But sometimes, you don't realize how much it doesn't match until you hear a matching set, the differences can be amazing.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Martice

Screenwriter
I couldn't agree with Brent anymore. It's not that you have to have the center channel that the manufacturer sells, infact when I first got into hometheater my first 5 set speaker system was the PSB Alpha line. Now in 2-channel they sounded pretty good for music(considering the price) and for theater but I didn't like the boxy sound of the 100c center channel. Was it timbre matched I think so but I couldn't get pass the boxy sound. I have heard my friends system who also has the Alpha speaker system and I heard the boxy sound as well however he didn't seem to mind it as much as me.
Since then, I've gotten a pair of PSB Goldi's and the original PSBC6 center channel and liked it but didn't like it with the Gold's as much as I liked my Boston Acoustics VR12 that I picked up from a dealer for a steal. I guess because the Boston had a metal tweeter like the PSB Goldi's have and the original PSB C6 didn't. Anyway, I was about to sell my Boston for the new PSB C6i center(it has a matching metal dome tweeter) but find no need to because this center channel is absolutely fabulous with my PSB Goldi's. Will I ever get the C6i? When the money is right and because I'm curious to see how well it performs with the Goldi's. However with the Boston VR12 I'm not in that big of a hurry. As far as being timbre matched? It's pretty darn close, infact closer than the original PSB C6 center channel IMO.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!
[Edited last by Martice on September 13, 2001 at 06:19 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks