Timbre matching DIY centers and surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Dodds, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

I'm building/having built centers and surrounds to match my mains (Wilson WATT 3s), which use a Focal kevlar tweeter and SEAS paper mid.

Should I use drivers as close as possible, or later 'improved' models from the same company, ie the Focal inverted titanium.

Or indeed follow Wilson's example and 'improve' the mid as well by substituting the Scan-Speak 8545 as they do in more recent models.

Thanks

Steve

2. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

It is very important to have your front L/R/C match tonally (same drivers, same XO, same internal volume). It's preferable to have your rears matched too but not a major issue IMO.

If you want them to be pretty close you can use drivers with similar construction (if your front drivers are titanium then your rears could be as well)

3. Alexi

Alexi Auditioning

Why not sell the WATTs and use the money to build 3-5 better speakers!?

4. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

I second Alexi's point (ask John about this Steve)

5. Stephen Dodds

When I lived in the States, I spent a year auditioning speakers costing up to $US15K at home, and didn't hear any I liked more than the WATT 3s which only cost me $1300, including Genesis, Martin Logan, Sonus Faber, Infinity MTS, Newform and even WATT/Puppy 6s.
    I don't think I'd ever replace them with speakers I couldn't listen to, or couldn't return or sell off.
    I think this is mainly due to the Wilson cabinets, which are the one thing that would be massively expensive to DIY. And they look cool [​IMG].
    I have, however, considered replacing the drivers and actively biamping them.
    Steve

6. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

It could almost cost you as much to replace the drivers/active XO's, couple new amps as a new pair of speakers, and as you know, cabinets can be made into anything.

7. Stephen Dodds

Yeah, but it is rather tricky to make cabinets like Wilson does. Out of a Corian-type material.

Steve