What's new

Timber Matched? (1 Viewer)

I have a full Paradigm HT setup; Mini Monitors and a cc-370 center and matching surrounds. All are the Monitor series and all were purchased at the same time.

During a recent Avia calibration I noticed the center speaker was clearly high pitched than the fronts or surrounds.

Is my center speaker bad (shouldn't it sound at least close to the fronts when playing white noise in a calibration?)

The speaker has always seemed a bit high pitched and during some DVD's I'll hear a really high pitch hiss; I've always dealt with it because the hiss was only present in a few scenes of a few movies. Since I have moved to a new house and re-arranged my HT into a smaller room the pitch is more pronounced.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? I suspect I'll be heading back to the dealer to compare my center w/ a 'known good'.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Ahh, a pain I know all too well. I also have an all monitor setup. Just picked up my minimonitor yesterday from repairs at Paradigm. I noticed that it was making a high pitched hissing noise on vocals, but it was extremely noticeable on the S&V speaker balance test tones. I got it back ran the tones again and the noise is gone. It looks like they replaced the tweeter.

Also when I first got my CC370 v3 I noticed the same thing and they gave me a new center. I have asked Paradigm about the problem and they said it was probably a bad batch of tweeters. I have had version 2 monitor 3s for a few years and never had a problem with them.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
From the pictures I've seen, I thought they did a very nice job of matching the timber on their cabinets!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
All jokes aside, they didn't even match the "Timber" or timbre. The CC370 has a textured vinyl finish and the rest have a fake oak vinyl finish. also the front of the cc370 is black and the rest are grey, wut up wit dat?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had Monitor 5s and a CC370 and they sounded like they were identical speakers - an excellent timbre match.

Check your connections, swap one of the mains with the center and see if the hiss is still present in either case. If the hiss remains in the center channel with a different speaker, it may be a problem with your receiver. What receiver?

I'm running a Denon 1802. I thought about switching a front with the center after I posted; I still haven't done this, but hope to before the end of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks