What's new

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Then why do stop-motion in the first place? The charm of stop motion is its imperfections... and CGI is too perfect for this type of stylized movement.

If Peter Jackson wanted to really pay hommage to the first Kong the SFX should have been quality stop motion instead of CGI. I hope that CGI in the trailer is just a stop-gap to get a trailer out because it looks worse than WETA's work on The Lord of the Rings. Even the dinosaurs of the Jurassic Park films are more photo realistic... unless Jackson was going for a slightly stop motion, surreal look. But then that goes back to why it wasn't done with stop motion.

Jim Danforth was a really good stop motion artist. Some of his work was even better than Ray Harryhausen; a bit smoother.

Dan

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Hey, it's Danny friggin Elfman. He's gonna give us some nice tunes. The music from Nightmare before Christmas was quite excellent.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I think the movie looks interesting and worth seeing.

I will check it out. I just can't help but compare it wwith "Nightmare Before Christmas."

Seems like a spinoff or sequel of that movie looks wise.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think it is stop-motion. i was watching one of those hbo first look exposes ... and they showed how the characters can be moved in incremental steps .. and the whole one-frame-at-a-time speech.

i'm not sure how the cgi comes into play ... but i don't think it's literally involved in the actual movement of the characters. but i'm not positive.

heck, some guy even mentioned that they tried to use mitchell cameras ... which (i guess) is the defacto camera for stop-motion type stuff .. and was used on early movies like king kong and stuff.

norman j

Agent
Saw it yesterday at the Toronto Film Festival. Very Enjoyable! It has about the same amount of songs as nightmare.

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
Saw the trailer and heard about it for the first time this weekend. I am pretty excited for it. It looks incredible.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Saw it this afternoon. Without any spoilers I thought it was amazing. Some might think it "too simple" but that's where a lot of the charm comes from. Reminded me in a lot of ways of those old Hammer Horror films (with the voices of Christopher Lee and Michael Gough to boot).

It's a good year to be a Tim Burton fan. Even though he doesn't need to, to get his vision across, I'd love to see Burton team up with Pixar sometime. I know that John Lasseter and Burton attended Cal Arts around the same time and had great respect for one another. This film is even dedicated to the memory of Joe Ranft.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My daughter and I saw this today and we both loved it. By far the best film I've seen all year. Burton (as usual) did a wonderful job. It's hard to compare this to Nightmare as it is a very different film but it's the best way to describe it.

The story is heavier then Burtons previous Nightmare before Christmas as it deals with death, murder and suicide, the entire film has a much darker tone to it as well. The songs are more in the style of Oingo Boingo (just like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) which I found enjoyable. What I found odd was Burtons look he gave to the film. The mortal world is dark, gray and depressing where as the world of the dead is much more colorful and fun.

It's easy to see that CGI has been added to enhance this film over Nightmare, which I am still hung up on. I really enjoyed how Nightmare was done and although this was done in the same way the CGI takes away from the three-dimensional look that Nightmare had.

The movie paces itself very well and will keep you guessing right to the end. By far one of Burton's best films to date. I'll be going back to the theater this weekend for a second show.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
What a great film.

I still can't get over the fact that it was shot using commercially available (albeit expensive) digital still cameras!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty good, with care given to show the living with a drab color palette, while the dead had a nice vibrant color palette.

I found the story fairly simple without an immense amount of characterization to load down the film, but, again, Burton films are almost always about flair, and bizarre design sense, fun to look at and watch.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
My favorite line:

Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damn....with Tara's Theme playing in the background!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks