What's new

Tim Burton's "Big Fish": Looks like a winner! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This one's been been in the works for a little while and I'm sure most of you have heard all about it by now. Thought I'd start up a thread and see who's psyched for this one. Based on what I've seen and read, I think this could be a great return to form for Burton after what's arguably his worst flick by far.

The poster:

[c] [/c]

The cast: Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Alison Lohman, Steve Buscemi, Helena Bonham Carter, Danny DeVito

The plot: "In the heartwarming film Big Fish, director Tim Burton (Batman, Edward Scissorhands) brings his inimitable imagination on a journey that delves deep into a fabled relationship between a father and his son.

Edward Bloom (Albert Finney) has always been a teller of tall-tales about his oversized life as a young man (Ewan McGregor), when his wanderlust led him on an unlikely journey from a small-town in Alabama, around the world, and back again. His mythic exploits dart from the delightful to the delirious as he weaves epic tales about giants, blizzards, a witch and conjoined-twin lounge singers.

With his larger-than-life stories, Bloom charms almost everyone he encounters except for his estranged son Will (Billy Crudup). When his mother Sandra (Jessica Lange) tries to reunite them, Will must learn how to separate fact from fiction as he comes to terms with his father’s great feats and great failings."

The filmmakers: screenplay by John August (Charlie's Angels, Go, Titan A.E.) based on the novel by Daniel Wallace. Directed by Tim Burton...and you know everything he's done so no need to list any of 'em. Not surprisingly the music comes from Danny Elfman. Cinematography by the talented Philippe Rousselot (Interview with the Vampire, A River Runs Through It), costumes by Colleen Atwood (Chicago, Sleepy Hollow, Beloved), production design from Coen-fave Dennis Gassner (Miller's Crossing, The Truman Show, Bugsy)...and some guy called Stan Winston worked on the visual effects...which look amazing. How do I know??

The trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/bigfish.html

Lastly, I'm willing to be that Big Fish is the first film to be Rated PG-13 specifically "for a fight scene, some images of nudity and a suggestive reference". It's the singularity that makes me laugh. A fight scene and A suggestive reference! ;)

The release date: 12/10/03 (LA, NY and Toronto), 12/19/03 (limited), 1/16/04 (wide)

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this one? :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm trying to stay away from trailers, previews, reviews and anything else that might spoil it. I'm getting that way with a lot more films now.

I was really excited about seeing POTA on the big screen, and also had a no previews/reviews/etc. edict happening, but then I heard just enough negative vibe to make me think I should check out several different reviews. Because of them, I still have not seen the movie (at all) even though I broke down and bought the DVD. I don't want to be disappointed by Tim Burton.

Though things could change, I've heard just enough now about Big Fish to feel good about it (though I skipped over the synopsis). Thanks Scott!

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
I've actually been waiting on this one for a while now. Many of the scenes were shot on location about 15 miles north of us in Wetumpka, AL which should make for a beautiful setting. It's neat to see a quick shot of the downtown bridge in the trailer. The casting calls here in Montgomery and the surrounding areas created quite a buzz so I'll definitely try to "catch" the Big Fish. ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Early Oscar predictions have this pegged as a Best Picture nominee. That would be great, especially if it wins. I love Tim and a Best Picture on his resume is sorely missing.

Can't wait as well. Might even take a trip to NYC to see it this December (I'm in NJ).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, even tho the trailer is in crappy Windows Media format, it seems to hold a lot of promise to actually be a pretty good Burton film, which he hasn't made in a while. He seems at his best when doing slightly twisted reality, rather than total fantasy.

I see Ewan has recycled his accent from "Down With Love"...

Looking forward to it.

Jason

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wow! Looks excellent. Being a huge Burton fan, this is a must see.

...and no, I've not heard anything about it, until now.

Peace Out~:D

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Looks good! Haven't heard too much about this, but watched the trailer earlier today. Can't wait to see it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Holy Bejeezus!

This looks incredible!

Loved the Edward Scissorhands music.

Return Of The King has some competition.

Nice to see that Burton is rebounding from
that Planet of The Apes mess.

This could be Burton's year!

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
this movie looks great! kind of forrest gump mixed with dr. seuss mixed with nightmare before christmas. wow, great idea!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is one of my "Must-See" movies for this year, and I can't wait.

Is it just me or are there many more excellent movies coming out than there has been over the past few years?

todd stone

Screenwriter
looks great!

gotta love the edward scissorhands music.

anyone know if elfman will be composing for this film?

George See

Second Unit
Wow. Haven't seen anything like that in a while. The story and the acting look great, and the sets look like they will jump off the screen. Definently gonna have to see this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks