Tim Burton - Vincent and Frankenweenie questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Krispow, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I have some pending questions about Tim Burton's early short films, Vincent and Frankenweenie -- since they both appear on The Nightmare Before Christmas DVD, I thought this would be an appropriate forum to ask my questions in (hope that's okay).

I've looked all over the internet and newsgroups for some answers, but have come up with nothing resembling any coherent answers. A few obscure clues, but that's it. So here we go:

1. Does anybody know any technical details about Vincent? I'm specifically interested in what format it was originally filmed in -- was it 8mm, 16mm or ...??? Any other tech info is also most welcome.

2. Same exact question as above, but this time for Frankenweenie. I'm assuming this was shot in a 35mm process (was it spherical, Super 35, what?)-- anyone know the correct details on this? Other tech details also welcome.

3. The original version of Frankenweenie ran 27m on the LD, but the new DVD contains a longer 30m uncut version of the short. It supposedly contains 3 completely new scenes, and numerous scene extensions. Does anyone have a complete list of the changes/additions between the two version? (I'd compare the LD to the DVD myself, except that all my LD's are packed away since I'm in the process of moving into a new house.)

Many thanks in advance for any answers that can be provided....!

Jeff

2. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    According to the filmography in the excellent book Burton on Burton by Mark Salisbury, Vincent was filmed in 16mm and Frankenweenie in 35mm. It doesn't mention what the 35mm process was though.
    As for the longer cut of Frankenweenie I've never heard anything about it so I can't help you there. The same book does list the original running time as 25mins though! If anyones got anymore info on this or can do an a-b comparison of both the laser and dvd versions I'd be very grateful.
    Hope this has been of some help,
    Richard

3. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Richard,
    Many thanks for the film-size source info for these two shorts. It definitely answers my first questions I had about them...! Hopefully someone else can provide further details regarding the actual process (spherical, super, etc.).
    I was actually rather hoping someone had a copy of Burton on Burton handy and could look this up. [​IMG] I keep meaning to pick up a copy for myself for my reference library, but as usually happens, I get sidetracked with other things (you know the story... other books, other DVDS, ummm.... groceries, bills, that sort of stuff). I must remember to pick this up before I forget about it again...
    As for the Frankenweenie comparison, I know someone has already done this for themselves, and can save all of us a lot of trouble. I once saw a listing... somewhere (online?)... of every single change, but I've searched and search and it's proved impossible to find again.
    In the end, if it turns out that nobody can provide any further info on the changes, I'll eventually do my own detailed comparison and post the results up here for the masses.
    (Just as an FYI regarding the timeframe when this might happen, it's not somthing I'll likely be able to do until April at the earliest. Again, we're currently packing up to move into a new house in... 20 days... and then everything 'has to be unpacked and "restored" to its former glory. Anyone want to guess how boxes it takes to pack up around 6,000 LDs...? A lot! Anyone also want to guess who's not looking forward to moving them, uninstalling all the shelving, reinstalling them again, and then doing the unpacking and refiling...? Oh no, and I forgot that I still have to eventually pack up another 2,300+ DVDs at some point and do the exact same thing... but I'm stalling for time. Ugh!!! [​IMG])
    Okay, got sidetracked there... thanks again Richard! It's definitely been of help!
    Jeff