Tilting speakers 90 degrees?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Levi Wallach, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Levi Wallach

Levi Wallach Auditioning

I looked through the FAQ's and couldn't find anything relating to this. I am wondering if one can tilt front left and right speakers 90 degrees? The problem is that these speakers are 17+ inches high and so in the space I have alloted for them, it's going to be difficult to set them up in their normal vertical manner. It would be much easier to set them on their side (they are only about 8" wide). Will this interfere with the sound in a negative way? Thanks!

2. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

If you're just talking about laying the speakers on their side, I would think it would be ok. I've heard of people using a main speaker as a center with no troubles.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What speaker? Some speakers tollerate side placement, while others may not due to the dispersion patern and imaging. All I can really say, is try it out, it may work just fine.

4. Levi Wallach

Levi Wallach Auditioning

They are Polk speakers, but I don't have the model number with me. I'll post the model number when I get home...

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Usually if there is a dispersion issue, it will be with THX speakers. Since they are designed for limited vertical dispersion, they wouldn’t work well turned on their side. Most other speakers should work fine. I’ve had my center channel (a two-way design) turned for years, and it sounds fine.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt