Tilt Your RPTV For Better Viewing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey_R, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

As a new entrant to the RPTV game, I am curious if anybody “tilts” their RPTV slightly backwards to improve viewing, especially for viewers who are standing. I see this done frequently at retailers for display RPTVs. It seems you could do this without diminishing the “sweetspot” (a/k/a MY chair), while improving the view for those who may be standing behind the sweetspot.

Any comments?

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

There's noticeable dropoff of light output along the vertical axis with RPTV as you move away from the sweet spot. Dropoff horizontally also occurs, but is not as bad. So a dealer might tilt an RPTV set to display it for people who are walking by.
    At home, I'd leave it level and anyone who wants to watch can bloody well sit down. [​IMG]
    Jan

3. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

How about if the RPTV is still too low when you "bloody well sit down"? For instance, when I sit in my usual spot on the sofa, the pupils of my eyes just over 41.5" above the floor. Most RPTV's have the center of their screen somewhat lower than that. For instance, a Panasonic 53WX42 has it's screen vertically centered about 36-37" or so off the floor.

So it might make sense to tilt it back 4 degrees or so which would make the "sweet spot line" just about intersect my eyeball sitting seven feet from the screen, no? And it gets better. If someone were standing behind the sofa a couple of feet, that same line would almost be high enough for their eyes.

The downside would be that seeing the screen while sitting on the floor in front of the sofa would be even worse than untilted, which is already pretty dim.

4. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

Brent, this is exactly what I am referring to. It seems by slightly tilting the RPTV, you would maximize the sweetspot viewing area, especially for those standing. I agree that the area on the floor in front of the RPTV would have diminished viewing, but no one in my home watches from there anyway.

Could these TVs be damaged by the slight frame torqueing caused by the tilting?

5. Michael St. Clair

If my seated eye level was substantially higher than the center of the set, I'd probably build a stand to elevate the set before tilting it.

6. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

We raised our 50H81 10" and left it level. I was nervous we raised it too much as we made all the construction plans without the set, but we have been very pleased with the results.

Sitting down straight up eye level is just below the halfway point on the screen. standing up at viewing distance there is just the slightest dimming and lying on the floor is only a problem inside of 7-8 feet.

J

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I think it all depends on the TV. When I had my Tosh 50H81, the picture seemed slightly better when I was standing up, rather than seated in the "sweet spot".

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I second the "platform" idea, just out of gut feeling. But I can't think of any reason that tilting the set a few degrees would harm it. (However, I'm not an expert.)

Jan

9. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

One issue with tilting will be dust?

Another is the Wheels?

I am actually a fan of tilting. I put all my speakers High on the wall to save on space and tilted them down to the center of the room.