Tiled my Sub....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I had originally built my sonosub as a 320L downfiring beast, as well i had fabric on the outside.

This was ok but i felt that the bass was not punchy enough so i cut down the volume to around 230L in addition i changed the design to an upfiring sub (not conventional I know - but it sounds better).

I was also not satisfied with the cloth around the tub as it got cat hair stuck to it and was not tight against the tube so i wen touut and bought some small 2" mosaic ceramis tiles and went at it. I will post pics soon.

Adam

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Neat. Will be interesting to see how your adhession method holds up in the long term to the sub's vibrations.

Can't wait to see the pics.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Not to steal your thunder, Adam, but your post reminded me of THIS PROJECT I stumbled across years ago.
    As you can see, tile can make a handsome finish.

4. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Thats interesting however as Dustin mentioned as my tiles are on the side of the actuall sonotube there is the risk of cracking or shaking, but i highly doubt that will happen. They seem very solid. Thanks for that link Dave.

Ive got the photos on my computer now but have no where to show them, how exactly do i put the pics directly into my post?

Thanks
    Adam

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You need to get the pictures out on the web someplace that will allow you to link to them. Usually your ISP provides you with some free space. If you don't have anywhere to put them, you could email the pics to me and I could set up the link for you.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you have no webspace, you can e-mail them to a member or mod who can display them for you.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dave it was that page that got me first thinking about building subs!

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Adam, post those pics ASAP, I'm really interested in seeing how the final product looks like.

BTW, Dave, love the new sig pic, hahaha.
    "I love my fazsha"

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Thanks alot for posting my pics Dave,

Adam

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Wow, that's realy cool, and original, since it's the first full tile job I have seen. How hard was it to do and how did you do it? Also, how much did it cost?

12. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

It was alot easier than sewing a piece of fabric [​IMG], I have tiled hundreds of times so it took barely any time at all, Plus I cut the tube a multiple of the length of tile so I would only use whole tiles.
    I used a pre-mixed wall-tile glue that u can get anywhere, spread it on and slap the tiles on. BTW The tiles come in sheets of 36 - 1sq ft.
    I had to use 18 sheets to cover it all the way around which cost me $3CND each (reg $5.50). The grout cost $10CND and I had all the tools needed, but if you did need to buy them they would be sub $20.
    I think it looks alot better than the fabric I had on it previously, and I love the way it shines [​IMG].
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Adam