What's new

Tile Flooring? (1 Viewer)

Dave HW

Grip
I want to build a rudimentary hoe theater set up in my basement. Don't worry - it'll get better later. We have a huge space and I plan to take less than 1/4 of it for the theater area. My wife would prefer some sort of tiling over carpet. I plan to paint the concrete 1st then put some flooring over it.

Any recommendations on the type of tile that might be best. Or will any tile make it sound lousy.

Thanks,

DAve

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You could possibly get some bad sound reflections off the floor. If you go tile, you might want to consider a large area rug to cover the majority of it.

Peace Out~:D

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I want to build a rudimentary hoe theater
A hoe theater. How do you get the hoes to perform?:D

On a more serious note. I have a laminate floor which was covered with an area rug. We have a minor sewer problem and I had to throw away the rug (waiting for the check from the SOB's doing the sewer work to get a new one). I really don't notice any difference in sound quality, with or without the carpet. I don't know if it is the laminate floor or the room design.

BTW, laminate flooring really looks good and is pretty easy to install over a concrete floor.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
carpet ceiling.. sweet.. SHAG carpet? :D
Would that help with acoustics/dampening???

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
We have concrete floors in the home theater we are building. We had a the concrete floors acid stained and cut to look like large slate blocks, and then sealed. It looks really sharp and might give you another option over tile. I have yet to see how the acoustics turn out; we have not yet decided whether to put a rug in the room.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Large expanses of hard, reflective surfaces like glass, concrete or tile make for poor acoustics. A number of years ago we had some water damage and we lived with concrete floors for a number of months before we could afford new carpet. Sound was much better with carpet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LARGEROBERT

Auditioning
Real Name
ROBERT REGER.
[SIZE= larger]Hi
My wife and I have a great room,(large room, and no living room), we had carpeting down. Then we started a Cattery,(not a cathouse), well the little darlings started to do some inappropriate things, and we had to rip up the carpet and put down tile. Well you can imagine the sound bouncing all over the room. I finally convinced my wife to let me paint the room with sound dampening paint, (it was along, long possess to find it),
(if any one is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]), well it worked out better than I thought, it’s not the final solution. But I feel that with a stain resistant and sound absorbing carpet it my just do enough to make it passable, (again a long, long. possess to find it). Not perfect but better.
Large Robert
[/SIZE]

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum. You do know that you posted in a 6 year old thread. It may or may not be helpful to the OP but at least if someone searches (rare) they will find your information.

Please remove your e-mail address immediately. Posting an e-mail address in an open forum is asking for trouble. A bot has probably grabbed it by now and you will get bombarded with spam.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks