Tile Flooring?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave HW, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

I want to build a rudimentary hoe theater set up in my basement. Don't worry - it'll get better later. We have a huge space and I plan to take less than 1/4 of it for the theater area. My wife would prefer some sort of tiling over carpet. I plan to paint the concrete 1st then put some flooring over it.

Any recommendations on the type of tile that might be best. Or will any tile make it sound lousy.

Thanks,

DAve

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You could possibly get some bad sound reflections off the floor. If you go tile, you might want to consider a large area rug to cover the majority of it.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Can you carpet the ceiling?

5. John Warner

John Warner Extra

Dave< was that a serious question?

6. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

carpet ceiling.. sweet.. SHAG carpet? [​IMG]
    Would that help with acoustics/dampening???

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

We have concrete floors in the home theater we are building. We had a the concrete floors acid stained and cut to look like large slate blocks, and then sealed. It looks really sharp and might give you another option over tile. I have yet to see how the acoustics turn out; we have not yet decided whether to put a rug in the room.

8. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Large expanses of hard, reflective surfaces like glass, concrete or tile make for poor acoustics. A number of years ago we had some water damage and we lived with concrete floors for a number of months before we could afford new carpet. Sound was much better with carpet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. LARGEROBERT

LARGEROBERT Auditioning

[SIZE= larger]Hi
    My wife and I have a great room,(large room, and no living room), we had carpeting down. Then we started a Cattery,(not a cathouse), well the little darlings started to do some inappropriate things, and we had to rip up the carpet and put down tile. Well you can imagine the sound bouncing all over the room. I finally convinced my wife to let me paint the room with sound dampening paint, (it was along, long possess to find it),
    (if any one is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]), well it worked out better than I thought, it’s not the final solution. But I feel that with a stain resistant and sound absorbing carpet it my just do enough to make it passable, (again a long, long. possess to find it). Not perfect but better.
    Large Robert
    [/SIZE]

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Welcome to the forum. You do know that you posted in a 6 year old thread. It may or may not be helpful to the OP but at least if someone searches (rare) they will find your information.

Please remove your e-mail address immediately. Posting an e-mail address in an open forum is asking for trouble. A bot has probably grabbed it by now and you will get bombarded with spam.

-Robert