Tile Board for screen material?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bret Pritchett, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone tried using Tile Board for a screen?

I got my pj about a week ago and have been using blackout cloth for a screen, the problem is that the cloth is hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room. So, air conditioning can cause it to shift and can become very distracting (especially during a camera pan). I thought I would take a look at using plywood or press board (very light and solid materials) to use as a backing for the cloth so it would hang straight. While I was at home depot I came across something that was called Tile Board, it is a thin and very light weight material that comes in sheets of 8' by 4'. After looking at it I thought that may work for a screen as is (no blackout cloth - just tile board). The surface is very smooth.

Anyone know how this works as a screen?

My only concern is that it may be to glossy. If it is too glossy, does anyone know of a paint that would give it a nice matte finish, or perhaps a paint for making it silver?

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I use it.

You don't need a backing. I put decorative wood strips along the top and bottom, drilled a hole in each top corner, inserted a decorative brass cylinder in the holes, and hung it with brass chains from the wall. Looks great, and can be easily removed. I have a tv behind the screen (in the wall) and just remove the screen and hang it in the laundry room when I am not using my projector.

It hotspots something fierce, so you have to paint it. I used a mixture of light grey eggshell finish paint, and silver paint. Worked fine for me.

3. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

thanks

I have an Infocus X1, any recomendations as to white, grey, or silver?

any exact formula for painting?
    like: % something + % something?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How heavy is the 8x4 sheet of tileboard? I used an 8x4 sheet of formica and cut it to 7x4 for my screen.

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

my 6' wide, 16x9 screen probably weighs about 15 pounds.

bret, I can't tell the exact ratio I used. I just did a mad scientist routine and mixed them together. If you go to the screen forum at avsforum.com, you can find page after page of discussions on what is the perfect paint color.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I tried 4 different colors. A flat white Behr, a matte white Da-Lite screen (came w/ PJ), Rustoleum High-Heat Sliver and a Lowe's Valspar Gray. I kept the Valspar. It by-far out shined the others. A light gray color, it hid screen-door really well, had very mild affects on colors and brightness and increased black levels very nicely.

The full length name is Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1).

Peace Out~[​IMG]