What's new

Tight accurate bass- vtf-2 vs Paradigm pw-2200 (1 Viewer)

Wolfgang.K

Agent
I know that this has already been discussed extensively on this site....but still would like to have a better idea/comparison between these 2 subs when it comes down to clean, tight accurate bass. I plan to use 50 music 50 HT. Are these 2 subs comparable to each other? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I haven't considered the SVS sub at this time given the limited space.

Thanks in Advance,

Wolfgang

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Can you get them for similar prices? Or is that not an issue?

You say you've discounted the SVS because of space. Remember the SVS have a smaller foot print than either the VTF2 or the PW2200. It's just a 16" circle. Do you have an actual height limit, or is the height limit cosmetic?

Wolfgang.K

Agent
Thanks Dustin,
More Cosmetic. Wouldn't be so much of an issue if the room were larger. Current size 12x12*10. Plan to pick one up in the future when I move into a house with a big basement .:)
Living in Montreal I can get the PW-2200 from about $725-$750.
HSU: $449.00+$50.00sh)x1.6 exchange rate= $800. I can get this shipped to a Plattsburg address. I would then pick it up and save on the broker fees.
Wolfgang

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the PW2200 then. Both are great subs and you'll have less hassle if something goes wrong with the PW2200 than the VTF2.
If you think the SVS tubes are big take a look at my webpage :p) Won't look so big after that ;) My room is 18x12x8 (and open on the front right side).

Wolfgang.K

Agent
LOL.....That is seriously large. Can you here me!!! and a re you telling me that you have not been evicted from the street yet :). It must sound great!
Thanks for for input....I'll most likely get PW-2200. But I still have sometime till I get HT Receiver. Who knows I may change my mind and get the 25-31PCI.
Wolfgang

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'm just slightly pleased with my Tempest :D Although if I do get a job in the city I'm currently in, I hope to eventually do a four driver infinite baffel in the attic (that one may actually cause neighbors to complain).
Just for kicks since I don't think you've seen DIY subs like that before, here's the biggest one I know of:
http://www.geocities.com/manurescape...l?982993304980
Mine is 9ft^3, that one is 24ft^3 :p)
And if you don't know what an infinite baffel is this will help (there's link at the top of this page to an FAQ as well):
Link Removed
I want to make one like this:
Link Removed
By all accounts there really isn't a commercial sub available that can match the sound quality of this design when an appropriate driver is used (except for the rare dipole). And when you use lots of drivers, their output can get pretty silly too ;)

Wolfgang.K

Agent
I can't imagine anyone playing it at full output. One would loose their hearing instantly if not at minimum have the chest cave in.

Great links!

Wolfgang

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well none of them will do over 120dB at 20hz. Some might approach 130dB above 30hz though. Although these levels would cause hearing damage very quickly if in the voice frequency range, our senstivity to bass is much lower. 130dB at 20hz over the duration of a typical movie action sequencey wouldn't do much besides shake your inards pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks