Tiger Woods 2k5 - Reviews?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brian Johnson, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I'm surprised not one mention of this game here in the Video Game section. Are people not buying it?
    It sounds like they have done many great things with this release. Tigerproofing courses, online play, etc.

So anyone, how is it?

(I am waiting till Saturday to buy it, Target offers a $10 giftcard when you buy it from them, $49.99, which is the same price as other stores)

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I am debating on whether to pick this up today. i will definatly get it, I am just debating whether I should get the GameCube version, or should I wait until I decide if I'm going to replace my Nintendo with an XBox or PS2.

I would like to know if my stats from the 2004 version would carry over to 2005, or do I have to start over?

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Not sure about that Larry.
    I never bought TW2k4 or 2k3.
    I have bought Outlaw Golf (which I am ebaying, although I loved the game) and Links 2004. I enjoy Links... I have purchased the 2 add-on courses, otherwise that may have went too.....
    I guess I'll see how it's like Saturday. Worst case I sell TW & have $10 to spend at Target [​IMG]

4. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

I would like to know if it is harder than 2003, cuz I slaughtered that game. I shot a 47 for 18 at St. Andrews, and had a scoring average a good deal below than 60.

5. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Tiger 2005 is mucho fun. It can be just as easy as 2003/2004 iterations, but the new Tour mode takes away some of the tools that let you get those ridiculous scores. The rough really penalizes you, as it does in real life.

James and I ran an online match two nights ago and had a blast. EA Messenger worked perfectly, which was a relief after the debacles of NCAA 2005 and Burnout 3. The gameface II option works very well and allowed me to make an accurate representation of myself in about 20 minutes.

I still value Links much more highly than Tiger, but golf fans should have both. Links has a vastly superior putting system and looks better in every possible way. If you are trying to decide between the two, get Links.

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I picked up Tiger Woods 2005 for the Game Cube yesterday and played for a couple hours.

I used the same memory card as I had for my saves for 2004 and though it recognized it and gave me some extra money up front, it didn’t carry over any of my skills or trophies and didn’t unlock anything special.

Also I was disappointed that 2005 didn’t add more courses and players as replace them. (I’ll be keeping 2004 so I can revisit Sahalee, the closest course to Seattle.) But on the plus side you can edit the courses somewhat to make them harder.

As far as game play it is pretty much the same except for one annoying subtraction and two cool additions. I can’t remember what it was called, but in 2004, when chipping onto a green, I was able to press a button and see the hole from another angle (usually slightly above). That feature is gone, so sometimes if I am chipping up over a hill I can’t see the hole. But the new additions more than make up for it.

The first addition is Tiger Vision for putting. It puts a dot on the green where you need to aim for a sure putt. This is limited so save it for your obscenely difficult putts. Like the ones where you are told you need to aim 17 feet 9 inches to the left and 14 feet long. Tiger Vision was not available for use in Legend Scenarios and was only limited to once a game for the Legend Challenge games. Except for Target shooting I didn’t play any other matches last night.

Another addition is that you now, on drives, can stand ahead or behind the ball to effect your shot.

In the end, I’m not sure if I recommend to those with 2004 to rush out and buy 2005, because I found that, so far, it’s not any harder than 2004 (I suppose you could just never spend your winnings and never add to your player attributes). It’s just not different enough to warrant $50. If you don’t already have Tiger Woods, spend the $50 for a great golf game for the Cube, or spend $20 and get 2004 used.