Tiger Woods 2004 PGA Tour. X-Box vs Gamecube. LONG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Charles J P, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Hey all, I think this is my first post in this forum. Any way, I went up to visit my younger brother at college and we played Tiger Woods 2004 on his roomates Gamecube. By the time I left on Sunday, I was as good of better than everyone in the apartment. The game was awesome, so I stopped on the way home and bought it for my X-Box. Any way, I dont feel like I'm playing nearly as well, but there are so many variables, that its hard to say why.

1) I learned on Gamecube, and now am playing on X-box, but I feel like I have the controls down already, so if its the system differences, its a programming thing, not a user thing IMHO.

2) I learned playing against other players in stroke play, and now, since I dont have a gaming buddy at home) I'm playing the season tour mode. The first course I played was a lot harder than most of the ones we played, especially the greens. Which brings up another point, it seems like my putting sucks.

3) Related to the putting, issue, I was dead on on Gamecube. I mean, these guys were astonished at how quickly I started playing 7-8 under par (on 9 holes!). It seams like I cant put for crap right now. BUT, I learned on 27" 4X3 TV and now I'm playing on a 100" 16X9 TV, which I feel is causing a lot of my putting problems.

So anyway, I emailed my brother (and havent heard back yet) to see what the attributes for his player were (I was playing with his guy while I was there) and see if his guy is much better than mine. I just started last night, so I would expect him to be a little better, but I seem to recall that his and his roomates players were pretty new too.

Any way, any thoughts on if there are actually play differences on TW2004 on X-Box vs Gamecube???

Thanks. Sorry so long.

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I have it for XBOX, and I had your exact experience when switching over to PS2. I can shoot well under par on XBOX (using my created character) - but had a tough time on PS2.

The only difference is that when I began my XBOX character, I had some money already from playing Madden 2004, so I instantly had a bit of a performance boost, which I did not have on PS2.

As far as putting is concerned, I have played TW Golf since version 2002, so I have become pretty used to it.

The bottom line is, put a little practice into it, and you'll soon be shooting those mega-low scores you had on the GC. (In TW2003, I shot better than 20 under par on the Scottsdale course - and I'm probably nowhere near as good as some folks).

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, as it turns out, it was temporary. Now I'm kicking ass and taking names. Sweet game though.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Is there a good trick at judging distance for putting? I really suck on long putts, especially when the caddy says something like "7 feet 10 inches left, 31 feet long." It’s the only part of the game I’m truly bad at (much like reality).

FYI-I found the easiest way to get a lot of cash fast for my created player is play in the the World Tour Mode and play all the easy people first (all the ones that just play the front nine). You'll get a minimum $75k for winning the match, and likely pick up some sponsorships for giant signing bonuses (I got MaxiFli, Nike, and Cleveland Golf for a combined total of $750k in bonus money). The World Tour is also a quick way to open up players and courses.

Sponsorship also pays off because when you win you get a bonus for every item (and for every hole) of your sponsors that you use during the match (so currently I am wearing Nike clothes, using Nike Balls and Nike shafts and grips, wearing a Maxifli hat, and using Cleveland Golf irons, wedges, woods, and drivers. if I want to make more quick cash I'll play stroke play and use Tiger (the money gos in your pocket, not his).

With the money I've earned, I bought equipment that brought my skill attributes up to level 4 maximum modifiers) and all my attributes up around 60%. When a player consistently beats me I look at what part of the match I'm losing and just keep beefing up that attribute until I win.

I think of all the games I have bought for the Game Cube this will get the most play.

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, the thing with putting is, its supposed to emulate real golfing. That 35 foot put with HUGE breaks is supposed to be almost impossible to make. There really isnt any trick to it.

6. LarryDavenport

And yet I made a 79 foot putt. Maybe from that far a should just chip to get closer then putt from less than six feet. At least it will save me a 3 or 4 putt.

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, I did say almost. I do have a few record putts on the system. I think I actually have a 90 some footer. You get some opportunities for some really long putts on the scottish courses.

8. LarryDavenport

I think if I can get judging distance down I will improve my short game. Part of the problem was I didn't realize how big across the hole is (4 inches I think) so generally I was under/overestimating my shots.

TW2004 has inspired me to take up the real sport. Now if would only stop raining!

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    my biggest problem is inside 100 yards. Putting, I'm pretty good, but I can stick the ball closer to the pin from 150 yards than I can from 75 because once you get down to your lower wedges, you half to start taking half swings.

10. LarryDavenport

Go in to World Tour and start making money against the crappy players that only play the front nine. Soend the money to boost your power and approach numbers (or whatever part of your game you're lacking) and buy level 4 clubs to boost your modifiers. You should improve. I've now made enough money to have all level 4 equipment and clothing and have boosted all my abilities to over 60%. Last night I came in 12th in the Hollywood open (though I was leading most of the way, the fourth round was a bitch and a water hazard just killed me.)

11. Michael St. Clair

Is it possible that they made the putting easier on the Gamecube due to the younger audience for that hardware platform?

12. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Hmmm... 12th? One of my complaints about the game is that I've never lost a tournament. Not even the first one I played in. Now I am finishing every tourney 40-50 under par. Its getting boring. My player is maxed out now, but obviously wasnt when I won my first tourney.

13. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I was wondering why there wasn't an option in the GameFace part to put glasses on your created player. I can make my guy look like me in every respect except for the glasses part.

On a side note, two of my roommates made themselves in the game and it is scary to look at. [​IMG]

14. LarryDavenport

You have to go to Accesories and buy glasses.

15. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Just an FYI, I sold my game and got NCAA football. Tiger woods is way too easy. I bet you could put me in a situation of being 6 or 7 over par at the begining of round 4, and I would still be able to come back and win the tourney.

16. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Make some gaming buddies. I have 2K3 and most of my friends want to play whenever they come over, even some of the ladies. Hell, my step dad has never been into games, but when he played me, he got so into it that he bought an Xbox JUST for Tiger Woods. It's a fairly easy game to get in to, but it certainly doesn't mean it can't be a great multiplayer game. I also had a good time trying to get the most ridiculous score possible in one round of Pebble Beach. (-27)

17. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

18. LarryDavenport