Tiger wins another Major - US Open 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tiger Woods won his second major of the year with a 3-shot victory over Phil Mickelson who continues to pull the short putts and tanked any choice of winning yet another major (he's something like 0 for 40). Tiger has won 7 of the last 11 majors, and has his eye on a true grand slam (if he wins both the British Open and the PGA in the next couple of months). Sergio Garcia had an up and down day and didn't mount much of a challenge playing alongside Tiger. Sergio's waggle has got to be one of the most aggravating things to watch on the pro golf tour (the announcer counted 19 waggles on his first drive of the day).

2. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Boy did Bethpage kill them or what? 1 player under par for the Tourney? Good to see Mickelson at least put up something of a challenge on a Sunday. But the tourney was Woods' to lose, not his to win. Congrats Tiger, not my favorite pro athlete, but no denying your accomplishments.

Chris

3. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

I was there the other day. Walked about 14 holes. I was exhausted and I didn't even swing a club! Friends of mine have played the Black. I'm a hacker and have no desire to aggravate myself that much!
    Anytime someone got close to Tiger he did what he had to.
    He's gonna win a lot more tourneys in the next few years, people are going to hate him. Not only is his talent far and away better than his contemporaries, he's got the hottest girlfriend!

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I agree watching sergio's waggle is annoying to no end....just grip it and rip the damn thing[​IMG]

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I don't normally watch golf, but I occasionally watch Tiger's wins. That waggle was driving me up a wall. I don't see how anyone could stand playing with the guy.

6. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Arnie used to walk up and hit as hard as he could. If he were playing with Sergio, he would take that club and wrap it around his f#$%@&*ng head.

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Waggle is good. Waggle for 30 seconds before each shot? Ugh. No wonder everyone was off the course while Tiger and Sergio were just putting out the 17th (it should have been worse, but Nick Faldo was in the group ahead of Mickelson and did his best to out-slow Sergio). I kept looking at the clock and actually thanked the lord when the rain delay came. I cruised to the range, hit my bucket and got back in time to see the last two holes.

Tiger has proven one thing in majors. He is unshakable. Guys that are chasing him or paired with him always seem to fall apart on Sundays but Tiger just moves right along, making pars and birdies. I know that Johnny Miller loves to harp on the fact that all the other players have "laid down" for Tiger in the last few majors. Ok, they haven't burned up the course, but Mickelson played even par on Sunday, Sergio did stumble but the wheels didn't completely fall of. How many times do they say, it's all about course management? Tiger proved that again today. He just doesn't give anyone a chance to mount a challenge.
    In all, a great tournament. The crowds were incredible. Loud, but very golf-wise: they knew when to shut up as well as when to go nuts. I hope the USGA holds more Opens at public courses...it's always neat to hear the people saying things like "You hit that too fast"...or "It doesn't break that much".

Bruce

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While Tiger is physically very gifted, I think his mental approach to the game is what separates him from the other players. Mickelson is also very gifted, but he cannot hold a candle to Tiger when it comes to course management and making the correct decisions. After three-putting for bogey on the first two holes Sunday, Woods did not make another mistake until he had the tournament locked up. Tiger understood that with a four shot lead going into Sunday, an even round 70 would almost assure him of victory. He concentrated on hitting fairways and greens, and succeeded in executing his game plan. Woods is as mentally tough as any athlete in the world today.

Meanwhile, Mickelson hung in there a little longer than I expected, but he finally made a couple of crucial mistakes on the back nine that took him out of the tournament. You can pretty much bank on him doing this in a major on Sunday.

Garcia did nothing the entire round. As others have said, his waggle is extremely annoying, and I do not think it helps Sergio, either. You simply cannot stand over the ball that long and not make mistakes. Between the slow play, childish comments about Tiger and borish behavior on the course, Garcia certainly did not endear himself to golf fans.

9. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Tiger hit a phenomenal number of fairways and greens, especially early on so that no one could get early momentum and confidence, despite his 2 early bogeys. No one was making any putts so tee-to-green was the key to a solid score.

What I can't believe is that Tiger (and others probably as well) hit driver-8 iron to the 490+ par 4 holes!! Perhaps some of the better golfers out there can illuminate me on how these guys hit 170 yard 8 irons and then 130 yard PWs. That seems like a huge gap between clubs. For the in between yardages, do they swing less hard, choke up, adjust setup? If they can manage their clubs and yardages like that, why are they ever caught between clubs?

As for Sergio's waggle, did you notice that he waggled only a normal amount when he was in the rough? I can't imagine staying in rhythm while standing over the ball that long. If he really needs that much time to hit from the fairway, shouldn't he take even more time when he's in trouble?

Did you guys notice that Corey Pavin made it into the weekend and ended up averaging 240 driving distance!! Heck, I can hit it 240!

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Congrats to Tiger on another fantastic win. I was worried sick when he bogeyed the first two holes! It wasn't a pretty round by far, but Tiger's approach to winning is totally different (and smarter) these days. He just goes about his business and let others take risks.
    I think Lefty did very well to put up a challenge. Sergio was humiliated whilst trying to go toe-to-toe with the world's #1. Maybe he'll show a little more respect going forward.
    Incidentally, Mediate has already pulled out of the BO. Said he is tired of playing courses where he can't reach the par-4 greens in two.
    I'm about to play a 138/74.6, 7100 yd course this morning...hopefully I can break 95! [​IMG]

11. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Being a Nike employee I always enjoy watching Tiger win. Our stock always climbs for a day or two after he wins. [​IMG]

12. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If I followed his example, I'd have to stop playing golf altogether. [​IMG]
    I don't understand this mentality of pulling out or complaining because the course is too hard. It's the same for everyone on the course, so what's the big deal?
    /Mikw

14. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

I have officially given up the Tiger hating. He is very simply, just plain better than his peers. "Regular" Pros play a different game than I do and he plays a different game than they do.

I think, eventually, he will be considered the best ever to play the game. In fact, he may be there already! (although I think Bobby, Ben, Sammy, Gene and Jack may have a thing or two to say about that)

Now I will say that Tiger, in my opinion, needs an Arnie or Player to his Jack.

15. Scott Merryfield

Howard,

Garcia stated that Friday's 2nd round would have been suspended due to poor playing conditions if Tiger was still on the course. Also during Friday's round, he flipped the middle finger at the crowd at one point, and threw his ball into the soggy green while walking off the green after missing a putt (imbedding the ball and damaging the green).

16. Scott Merryfield

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I'm sure purist wouldn't appreciate a "Bad Boy" but I bet others would. I know..... "Xtreme Golf", where trash talking, body slamming, steroid pumpin', freaks of nature, trash the course and each other. Hmmmm......who's the head of FOX programming?

19. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Tiger Woods amazes me everytime he plays golf. He is the perfect example of how golf should be played and how the game should be managed. I mean his mental game is a few steps above anyone else on the tour, and the mental game is a HUGE part of golf, I know this all too well, and I'm sure other golfers do as well. Once you lose your cool, you start thinking abnormally and make stupid mistakes that you wouldn't make when you were calm and collected.

I hope he does one day become the "World's Greatest", but I don't think he'll ever take over the title's of greatness that the playes before him have earned, such as Nicklaus, Palmer, Sneed, and countless other pioneer's in golf.

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I think John Daly was bad enough. [​IMG]
    /Mike