What's new

Tickets from Priceline, help! (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all.

I've been looking all over for advice and I've finally come here hoping you all can help me. :)

Quick history: My girl is away to start school in a few months, it's been a month and I miss her like crazy so I want to go see her.

I don't have alot of money to throw around so I am trying to use Priceline. I can go to about $250 max including taxes and all that... I just can't get them to accept my price! I've never used Priceline before... it's fustrating. My girl said she did about a year ago to take the same trip Im about to and she got it for like $170 total. How though... I don't know.

Anyway what I need to know is what are good OFF PEAK days for flying? I really have no idea. I can go any day of the week at any time, so that's gotta help me a little. Also does booking a few weeks in advance help much? I will if I have to, but we are just anxious!

If it matters, my trip will me from Sacramento CA to Baton Rouge, LA.

Thank you for any help and advice.

Adam

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I tried to use Expedia/Priceline, etc.. but they wanted so much information up front before they gave you any I gave up. I ended up grabbing a $211 ticket from DC to LA roundtrip from www.jetblue.com, departs on a Wednesday in Sept.

Also of importance; my friend got the same ticket about a month and a half ago but they charged him $263! I thought it would cost more closer to the departure date.

:confused:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Typical off-peak days are Tues, Wed and Thurs. Occasionally Saturday afternoons/nights are also considered off-peak.

Try calling an airline directly and just state "I want to go from City A to City B for the cheapest possible fare". After they come back with a price, make sure you ask again "Is that the cheapest ?". Then compare that specific price with priceline.com or the other travel sights.

The airline reservation system is pretty wacked out and there are a lot of "hidden deals" out there. There are also deals that pop up, then are quickly gone again. Not fair all the time, but that's life.

Good Luck seeing your girl.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the replies.

I did use a few airline's WEBSITES to check thier fares and they were not at all what I was hoping for. But still you think it might be a good idea to CALL them?

Thank you for the off peak days info. I needed that. When would I know if a Saturday is or is not an Offpeak day?

Curt_Dennis

Stunt Coordinator
expedia.com has tickets for $245 roundtrip if that helps. I think part of the reason for the higher price is Labor Day falls rigt around there, so I'm sure that raises it a little. Plus, end of summer before kids go back to school is when some families take vacations and airlines know that.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
You'll almost always pay more to fly into smaller cities. If your girlfriend can drive down to New Orleans to pick you up, check the online fares through Southwest.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Try calling a Travel Agent. Quite often they can get you a better deal than you can find on the internet or by calling the airlines direct.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
expedia.com has tickets for $245 roundtrip if that helps
From when till when did you try and get those prices? My goal is to go as soon as possible amd stay about 2 weeks. I've been trying combos of different Airports, as I could arrive at Lafayette, LA instead which is actually closer to her. But Baton Rouge seems cheaper. Why is that?

Using Expedia as a guide, I tried for a ticket from Sac to Lafayette in 2 weeks for 2 weeks and it was like $245, which is the best yet. I could most likely get one from Priceline for under $200. But again the problem is, we want to go sooner. Also my Cousin is having a wedding on the 6th I don't wanna miss.

But it seems that sooner = more expensive. Don't they give discounts to last minute flights to fill them up? Maybe I'll call a travel agent.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
From my experience with priceline, the best results I've noticed have been last minute reservations. It costs the airline more to fly with empty seats, so very close to departure, they are trying to finish filling the flight.

This is just from my experience.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Adam,

Check Continental.com. Here's a fare I found. Continental has good fares, but they'll fly you all over the US before you get to your destination. I'm sure that's OK by you given the circumstances.

Ticket Details

Round Trip

Sacramento, CA (SMF) to Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
Depart: Tue., Sep. 2, 2003, 6:45 a.m.
Return: Sat., Sep. 6, 2003, 7:20 a.m.

Price Details

1 Adult 206.51 USD
Taxes 33.49 USD
Total Price 240.00 USD

This one saves you $10 off your target price and includes taxes. I picked any dates just to see what came up. You may do even better by playing around with it. Have a good trip! Bob

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Kevin is correct, wait until one or two days prior to the day you want to fly. I think you can bid three times a day (it used to be five times). Start at $150 and add $20 to your bid each time until successful.
A buddy of mine just went to Hawaii for a few days for $195 round trip.
remember, if your bid is accepted, you bought it.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks