THX... Yes or No

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to decide...

I listen to plenty of music... But I am setting up a new HT set-up in my house...

I am looking @ the Kenwood VR-510 and the VR-509... Other than THX certification and pre out's for all the channels and 10 extra watts... the VR-509 is the same but fairly cheeper...

I plan on getting Jamo Apollo Satalites which some of you have said that satalites are more geared twards HT versus music, but I do plan on replacing my 1970ish Advents with these jamos for my main system...

Is it true, that THX takes away somthing when it comes to audio listening? (from CD's?) or is that just a rumor... If I plan on doing 50/50 music and HT am I better off NOT getting THX certification?

Thanks again!!!

Bill

2. JoeDelan

JoeDelan Stunt Coordinator

Well, for what it is worth. I have a THX Select Receiver and I rarely use the THX settings. Mostly it's just for show, and it can add some but it really is not worth the extra you pay for it. If I were you, Try to get them both and test them out at home. Keep the one you like and take the other one back.

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Bill,

I own a Denon 5800 and I only engage THX post processing when listening to movies. I like it, others don't.

I never have it on or any type of Cinema Re-Eq on when listening to music since it wasn't intended for that.

Patrick

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

NO

Dan

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dan,
    Really useful reply there. I'm sure that Bill now understands your opinion on the subject and has read a useful point of view.[​IMG] That really helps Bill get more informed on the topic.

6. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 510, partly because of that THX logo...I returned it four days later. I have since home-demo'd a Denon 2802 and a Yamaha 620, and the improvement in sound with the "non-THX" receivers was incredible (at a higher price though...).

I returned the Kenwood because:

Sound. HT sound was acceptable, but stereo music was noticeably worse than my 4 year old Technics. I tried stereo direct and other settings, to no avail.

The remote. Looks great on the coffee table, but the first time you have to press "shift, movie, movie, move, shift, movie, movie" you will get my point. Let me put it this way: The remote is so cumbersome to use I regularly got off my butt, walked over to the components and changed the settings manually, rather than "shift, movie, movie, shift, movie, movie..."

You would probably be better off with the Yamaha 620, IMHO.

Just my two cents CAD.

BTW, I now have a Yamaha rx-V2200 on order...

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

All other features being equal, the VR-510 is about 3 lbs heavier, which could indicate a slightly beefier amp section. Probably due to the THX certification. According to www.dealtime.com the street price difference is only about $60. As far as sound quality, you will have to judge for yourself.

8. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Now... In all reality... Which am is best for ALL AROUND SOUND??? Like I said, 50/50 CD's / HT...

Kenwood VR-509

Kenwood VR-510

or should I sway back to an...

Onkyo ...595?

Because the Onkyo, might be better for the 50/50 situation? Maybe? I know it's a matter of opinion... But how confusing...

Thanks!

Bill

9. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

After my first Kenwood reciever died I have been looking to replace it. I have always had excellent luck and results with Onkyo. Just last saturday I got to do a side by side with the vr-510 and the onky 595. The 595, which is not THX, select rates blows the knobs off of the Kenwood, and I would have to agree that the remote on the Kenwood is a poor design.

There are so many THX certifications out there now it feels like they mean a lot less than they used to. I am curious as to what the requirements are for each level of certification. All off the THX ultra equipment I have seen is great.

my $.02

10. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

IMO, the 595 will do much better for music and is a better all around receiver. It's high-current amp section, more neutral sound, and far better remote put it well ahead of those two Kenwoods. Again, IMO. [​IMG]

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer