What's new

Thx Wow Ld (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive got both, so here is my unbaised opinion.

Ever since the THX Ultimate Demo DVD came out, the value of the LD has fallen a bit. The DVD contains the "Wow! Demo", and the "Soundtrack" featurette, so most people wanting to drop coin to see those scenes from Star Wars and Indiana Jones in anamorphic and 5.1 will want to get the DVD.

The DVD usually fetched $100 opened to $200 sealed on ebay, although it has gone for much higher. Watch out for fakes and dubs.

The LD usually goes for $40 opened to $80 sealed.

I would search Ebay for more price refrences.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll give you $11.00 :)

Or listen to what Jeremy said above :)

I really used to want this LD bad - then Gregg Loewen showed me one he picked up while he calibrated my Sony - and I wanted it even more. I have bid on a couple here and there on ebay since - but never really put much effort into trying to fetch one for as good price.

Now I want the DVD :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Forgive my ignorance here. I used to own the Wow ld. Is this new Ultimate offer the same incredible demo??? And where does one find this baby????

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I think ebay is the only place for the new DVD - I gues it was only given to a select few...

I'm not sure it's exactly the same - I would think it would be better/updated...but I'm not sure...

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
the laserdisc is pro logic and obviously not anamorphic widescreen. the dvd is anamorphic widescreen (at least the Wow trailer is) and has 5.1 audio. I don't think anyone who isn't a dealer is supposed to own it, and I suspect any copy on ebay is a (exact duplicate of the real thing but) fake. I'm sure the laserdiscs on eBay are genuine though.

gosh, you would think that being digital and only 7 minutes long that the wow trailer from the dvd would be hosted on the web somewhere.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Trying to get this LD was like going on a quest for the Holy Grail back in the days when alt.video.laserdisc was the place to be.
I've never seen this disc but what's really on it? I've heard just a few clips from Star wars and such.

Jeff

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I have a friend who's family owns a speaker company in Europe and he called the folks over at THX to get a copy--but, they are very tight fisted with the DVDs since they end up on eBay so easily. Hopefully he'll get one so that I can at least see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks